Bring him back?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by woobie5, Sep 1, 2009.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Sep 1, 2009

WWYD?

I had a little boy who is 4 and birthday wasn't until 9/26. He was VERY immature ... required 90% of my time ... needed constant redirection ... had trouble with hitting ... could never sit still ... could never raise his hand .... etc, etc, etc. (in the principals office daily)

We had a SAT meeting and decided to continue what we were doing before "testing".

Then, out of nowhere ... the mom decided to pull him and try to enroll him in preschool and then try K next year.

I thought it was the BEST decision that could have been made and was proud of the mom for making that decision.

Now some people are worried (i.e. school psych. etc) that he might not be able to get into the "free" preschools b/c he is "school aged" ... SO ... he might end up spending another year at home and the homelife isn't very structured so maybe it won't do him any good to be at home rather than in school learning SOME structure. She is suggesting we bring him back for only 2 hours a day or something so at least he is getting something.

I don't know what to say/do. He is SOOOOo exhausting ... but I want what is best for him. Ideally they would get him enrolled in a church preschool or something but they might not have the money to pay for it.

WWYD?

3. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Sep 1, 2009

A couple of years ago we had a major hassle because a new teacher suggested that a boy was too young/immature for K.
    The mom put him in a PreK program that she had to pay for. Someone gave her a clue that if he was old enough to attend public K that he couldn't be denied. He came back. He needed to be retained at the end of the year. For whatever reason, he transferred to another school the next year.

Last year, I did have a child on a modifed day. It wasn't due to his age but his behavior. He was diagnosed ADHD and his mom is bipolar so the dr suspects he is as well.

4. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

Sep 1, 2009

What is your birthday cut off for K? Our kids have to be 5 by September 1 to attend K (4 by Sept. 1 for PreK).

Have you tried some sort of behavior chart for him? I have one for my son's PreK class that has the day divided into activities-coming in time, morning meeting, breakfast, circle time, recess, etc-and he earns a stamp for each of those activities. For my son, each time he earns 4 stamps, he gets to come in and give me five. For you little guy, it might be that he gets to pick a book that you read just to him (or maybe the P or school psych could read it to him) or that he gets to take a note to the P and get a high five there. It may take a little while, but he'll get the idea.

I know it's exhausting and frustrating to deal with a child like that. I had one last year that drove me crazy! But, once we dealt with his behaviors he became one of my favorites! I would do it a million times over. He has gone on to K now and is doing soooooo well. He hasn't had one behavior issue yet this year.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 1, 2009

Can he go to Head Start?

6. newkteacherfl

newkteacherfl Companion

Sep 2, 2009

I taught preschool and I had a child who turned 5 September 15. The cutoff date for kindergarten here is September 1st. If you aren't 5 by then, you can't be in kindergarten, and the preschools can't deny you.