Brighten up the Classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by S22S, Jul 21, 2011.

1. S22S

S22S Rookie

Jul 21, 2011

Does anyone have any ideas/tips on ways you put lots of color into your classroom. We have plain walls which we are not allowed to paint. I have lots of white cabinets that I can do something with if I just knew what! Thanks all! :)

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2011

Well, maybe try a colorful bulletin board. Use your walls interactively, if you can. I do a wordwall, math wall, and a science wall. By creating the walls, you should be able to think of lots of visual displays that will quickly bring color into your room.

4. Hitchcock fan

Hitchcock fan Companion

Jul 21, 2011

You could use inexpensive fabric as a background upon which to tape student work. Hot-glue the fabric to the wall, or hot-glue clothes pins to the top of the wall and secure the fabric from there.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 21, 2011

Use colorful baskets/bins on the shelf to store items... can you hang fabric?

6. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 21, 2011

:yeahthat:

That's what I do. I bought a lot of different color bins and I always use fabric to add on the bare walls. I have one that has the world on it and another with the state. Are you allowed to hang up students projects? That normally adds to the room. Crates? Walmart has crates that are different/bright colors. They instantly add a bit of comfort. I love color!

7. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Jul 21, 2011

A friend of mine covered her bookcases with colored butcher paper and/or fabric. She did it for multiple reasons, one was to keep the students from pilfering in her books or being nosy but the other reason was because the rooms are so boring... white paint and wood cabinets.

8. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 21, 2011

Plants and flowers throughout the room will help too. Not sure if someone else has mentioned it already but color contact paper.

Cover what you can in colorful cloths, I'm thinking of getting curtains in my classroom if I can find the magnetic curtain rods and fire resistant spray.

9. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 22, 2011

I had awful open shelving in my room so I sewed little curtains and put them on tension rods. I have solid green and green and white polka dots. They were easy to make(or I wouldn't have attempted them). If you don't sew, maybe you know someone who could do it for you. I just took them down to wash and iron, and I'm excited to put them up again.

10. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 22, 2011

What about wall decals? Those are removable and cause no damage to the paint.

11. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 22, 2011

FYI I put some from Dollar Tree on my apartment door and it did peel off the paint even though it was safe. The rest of them (also from Dollar Tree) came off without any damage.

12. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Jul 22, 2011

:eek:hmy:Oops, They are SUPPOSED to be safe. So I guess you should test them in an inconspicuous place first.

13. time out

time out Comrade

Jul 22, 2011

Here's a way you can dress up your cabinets as well as display student work:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sorry this pic is a little blury. It was in the background.

All you need are wooden clothespins, hot glue gun, bulletin board accent pieces and some sort of adhesive (I use the gray, foamy poster mount - super easy to remove).

1. Glue the clothespins to the accent pieces.
    2. Mount the clothespins to the cabinets. I stagger them just in case I want to display longer pieces of work.

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 22, 2011

time out - that is great! Now if only I had your cabinets....

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2011

I'm going to do a paint chip sample pennant across my windows.:thumb: let me know if you want a tutorial.

16. S22S

S22S Rookie

Jul 22, 2011

What great ideas!! You guys are awesome! Thank you for all your great ideas. I will definitely use them, and attemp to pick up seeing as a side hobby! :)

17. S22S

S22S Rookie

Jul 22, 2011

I meant to say "sewing"! Silly autocorrect!!

18. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 23, 2011

I've used the decals fom DT and they were excellent. They didn't peel off until it was time to take them down. The paint did not peel.

Also like others have said, I use bright baskets, curtains, bb paper, and construction paper to add color to my room. My theme is butterflies so I found some very bright fabric from JoAnn's and made curtains. I buy the bright fadeless bb paper so that the color will stay all year. I laminate the long sheets of construction paper and use clothes pins to hang student work from them. It adds color to my room and makes the kids' work standout.

Time Out, I do the same thing to my cabinets and closet doors. I use butterflies though.

19. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jul 27, 2011

I do! I just saw a cute happy birthday sign using paint sample strips. I'd love to hear about this!