Bright Horizons Montessori

Discussion in 'Montessori' started by girlblue16, Aug 11, 2008.

1. girlblue16

girlblue16 Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

Does anyone here work at a Bright Horizons center? I have an interview tomorrow and would like some info if possible.

Thanks!

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2008

I don't know anything about them. Do they have a website? What part of the country are they located?

4. girlblue16

girlblue16 Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

http://www.brighthorizons.com/

I had the interview yesterday. I thought it went pretty well, but 2 things about it:

1. I could have sworn I applied for a lead teaching position. When I got there the interview was for an asst. teacher.

2. The position would be with little, little ones. Around 2 years old. So, a lot of diaper changing. That is not something I want to have be part of my job description. I'm wondering if I was a parent if I would feel differently. Maybe I'd be used to it and it would be a non-issue. But, that isn't the case.

I do have to say though that this was one of the coolest 'child care' facilities I have ever seen. Each room has a little picket fence that you have to walk through. Once you've gone through, there's a little area for cubbies and jackets, etc. Then there is the door to the classroom. Again, it was by far the most interesting and unique environment I've seen. LOVED that aspect of it.

The interview lasted two hours. I've never interviewed for that length of time before. The first half hour was a 'working interview.' They kind of just threw me in a classroom to observe, but to help as well. Since Montessori has a different philosophy than most public schools, it's hard to know how they implement their practices (i.e. What is right or wrong so to speak). So, that was a little odd.

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2008

I'm surprised they put you in with the children for the first half hour. Most Montessori schools will want you to observe what happens in the space. Obxervation is a must in a Montessori classroom, even with little ones like that.

Their website says they're a national company. Are they for profit? If they are, I'd run away as fast as I could. For profit places usually are not good places to work when it comes to children.

6. girlblue16

girlblue16 Rookie

Aug 14, 2008

Interesting. I'll have to check that out. But I don't think anything will become of the job as I haven't heard anything yet. And I'm ok with that...bc of the diapers ;)