Brief Parent Teacher Progress Conference...Ideas?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by TeacherGrl7, Nov 7, 2009.

1. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Nov 7, 2009

We usually have one parent-teacher conference a year, in February, where the parent gets a report card which I then go over. The report card is completed again in June, but no conference. The conference is usually about 10 minutes, and it takes me that long to go through the report card explaining and then they are on their merry way.

I was just informed that now I have to do conferences the first week of December, along with February. There will be no report card, it's supposed to be an informal brief progress discussion. Without the report card, I feel like I have no direction to go in with these. I'd like to make some sort of physical thing for the parents to take away with them, but NOT make it a ton of work for me to do for 40 kids in 3 weeks, especially with Thanksgiving coming.

I was thinking of making a brief checklist of skills that the children are working on, with an area to check off strength or weakness. Or maybe a few select major things that we work on in school, and a few ways parents can work on them at home. I'm just not sure of how to go about this? Anyone have anything that they use, or know where I can find something to lead me in the right direction? I want these to be beneficial, but as painless as possible because they are so soon. Thanks!!

3. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 7, 2009

I sat through conferences in ...was it late September/early October.

They discussed letter and sound recognition, and environmental print. There was a lot of talk about...is my child normal? are they playing with others...to which they were often told about parallel play.

Ummm.. We discussed the order of the day...what the class was working on. Impressed upon them the need to be read to and counted with daily. Story recall and the "say something" strategy.

We looked at their sign-in book. The sign-in book is simply seven pieces of paper with a color sheet cover folded in half. The student needs to find the book - recognize their name in print. Turn to the next empty page, and write their name. (We have a 3-5 class.) Some can write their first names fine-to which we move into writing both names. Others can't write so we use a yellow highlighter to write their name and they trace the highlighted name. At the conference we look at their progress.

We look at their journal and the progression of the thoughts and pictures (what can you say? but you do point out that they are becoming more steady in their ability to draw and that you can begin to see people, faces, body parts, details).

That's what i can remember. My teacher (I'm her LTS) was nervous - but she did a FINE job. It's preschool. Some parents come in with expectations of college-prep, some...well I got a kick at seeing that the nut doesn't fall far from the tree.

4. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 7, 2009

If I were talking with parents now? I would DEFINITELY talk about the importance of training them for independence - when it comes to dressing for outside. At least putting coats on themselves. Then zippering.

i am NOT looking forward to boots and snowpants season (some of my kids stand and look at their coat on the hook as if they have NO CLUE how to help themselves.

This WILL change!

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Nov 7, 2009

I'd focus on social skills and adjustments to the new classroom setting. Look at your report card for next term and see what skills in those areas they are expected to master, and do an informal checklist for each child. Maybe something really simple like:
    Name:
    Date of Conference:

Your child excels at: (jot down several ideas)

Your child needs practice: (more ideas, plus suggestions)

Notes:

I'd also include a place for both of you to sign.
    Maybe hand out a sample schedule and a list of at-home things the parents can do to help develop fine motor skills, too. That's always one area where I have to work really hard at this time of year.

6. RedVac

RedVac Rookie

Nov 7, 2009

We just got done with fall conferences at our preschool. We will meet again in March. Spring conferences will be more progress and skills that they know. For this conference my director sent a questionnare home with the parents to fill out about their child. Questions like who do they mention playing with at school, how are their large motor skills, do you have any concerns about development. I loved it. It gave the work more to the parents and gave me a chance to learn more about them. I went through and read what the parents wrote and then put a few notes on the side. We discussed this at conferences and it gave me a chance to get to know the parents,discuss their concerns and let them know what things we will be working on. I also included a self portrait done by the kids. Everyone really loved to see that. We will do it again for spring and it will give them a chance to see how much their child has developed. Hope that helps. Good luck!

7. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Nov 8, 2009

My parent conferences were usually 20 minutes long, 10 for report card review and 10 for Q&A or "issues". We have always had to do two conferences per year, one in the fall and one in the late winter early spring. I have a page all about parent conferences with lots of links to info you could print and give to parents, also use as a springboard for discussion, just scroll down to the section titled "resources to give to parents". Many of those resources are about ways parents can help their kids at home.