Brief ARDS

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by kevo2005, Sep 21, 2013.

1. kevo2005

kevo2005 Companion

Sep 21, 2013

Diags mainly but Teachers feel free to comment.

When and why do you hold brief ARDs??

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 22, 2013

After googling ARDs... it looks like ARDs are basically just the IEP process, the amendment process and eligibility process. Here in Virginia, all those meetings are done at the school level, and are almost entirely the responsibility of special education teachers, and would be whenever an IEP needed to be amended. The only meetings called by anybody except a special education teacher are initial eligibilities, which are called jointly by the school psychologist and local screening chair (generally a SPED teacher). In my three years as a special education teacher, I only called three IEP amendment meetings. Two were for assessment options (we had deferred at the IEP meeting) and the third was a manifest review meeting for a student that was in suspension trouble. Every other IEP change I wanted, I made by doing an amendment without a meeting. There were several IEPs I called early, and in one case I asked for an early triennial review meeting. Here, the only time school psychologists are involved are either for initial eligibilities or for a triennial review where psych testing is expected to be requested.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2013

I've only done brief ARDs for grade placement of 8th graders who did not pass the state test but were being placed in 9th grade anyway.

5. Upstream

Upstream Rookie

Sep 29, 2013

In my experience brief ARDs are usually held to place a student in sped while we wait for info from another district, or to maintain/add services while awaiting new test results or medical info.