Bridal Shower Ideas??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by cruiserteacher, Aug 10, 2008.

1. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

I know..I know.. I'm a teacher and I should have all sorts of creative ideas for my best friend's bridal shower that is coming up in a month, but...I've got nothin'!! Actually, I do think I'm going to do "Bridal Gift Bingo" where the guests fill in Bingo cards with gifts they think the bride will get, then place stickers on the gifts she actually opens. It's a fun, somewhat competitive game but not a goofy shower game that people dread. Any other ideas? What type of favors or guest gifts? I've never thrown any type of shower before, so ANY help would be appreciated!! :)

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 10, 2008

I am helping to plan a baby shower and I went on Ebay to check out what they have listed. I am taking their ideas and making stuff myself (games and maybe favors). You could probably do that to by typing in "bridal shower" and steal some of their ideas even if you don't buy anything from there.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 10, 2008

At my shower the girls made chocolate lollipops (I think they were roses, I don't remember!) and they were a huge hit with the guests.

I like the bingo idea, but that's as far as I would go with the games. I went to a baby shower a few weeks ago and there were games and stuff going on the whole time we were there. I hated it.

5. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

Sorry, but I hate to play bridal shower games! The bingo game isn't too bad, but that's about it for me. I like to watch them open their gifts, have bite to eat, socialize a little and go home. I don't like it to drag on all day. I think more women wouldn't dread attending if the games were dropped and it was done in a timely fashion. I don't mind showers, bridal or baby, except for the darn games. ;)

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2008

I think it's fun when there are "door prizes" for the guests! :D You can hit any Dollar store and find oodles of great items...picture frames, candles, photo albums, kitchen ware, etc...Many of them even have a bridal party good aisle.

You can "hide" a sticker under a paperplate, cup or chair and whoever has that sticker wins a prize.
    Sometimes the gifts are wrapped and the guest will choose from that; other times the gifts are unwrapped and placed in a basket.

I have been to several showers where when you arrive, a clothespin is placed on your sleeve or collar and you are not allowed to say a certain word...let's say "Wedding"; if someone hears you say that word then they keep your clothespin; sometime during the shower whoever has the most clothespins gets a prize.

For the most part, I don't like playing strange games, either...oh! I played a very "cheap and easy game" at a shower once...we were all given a sheet of plain paper and had to "cut out" a bridal dress without using any scissors! The bride made the final call on who won that game. Ok; that game wasn't so bad.

At another shower...each guest had to write down a "piece of advice" for the bride and she read each one aloud and chose the best one. I remember writing down: "Never go to bed angry".
    no; I didn't win; I guess I didn't practice what I was preaching. :lol:'

I don't like the "team games" where we had to "dress" the bride-to-be in toilet paper trying to make it look like a gown.

Did I say I didn't like playing games??:rolleyes:

have fun and let us know what games you decide to do. :love:

7. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

I am totally with you all on the dislike of games! I didn't mind the bingo, because I'm telling you, people get darn right competitive! We played it at a school bridal shower last year and the two men in the building attended and they even had a good time with it! I like the idea of giving the bride advice. I wonder if I could buy some sort of diary for the guests to write in. Hmm..I don't know if people would want to do something like that or not...
    I definitely want to do some sort of door prizes, I will check out the dollar store. Thanks for the help, I'll keep you posted! :)

8. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 10, 2008

We just had my sisters bridal shower. She isn't one for games but my oldest sister planned the whole thing & said we are playing games. I think they are cheesy IMO...but hey the guests love it.

1. Put some bows, a few flowers, string, and toilet paper in a basket on every table. Do NOT tell the guests what it is for. Then when you are ready for the game - instruct each table to pick 1 person. Then after each person is selected tell them what the game is. Which is to construct a wedding dress out of their supplies. I must say it was a huge hit!!! Everyone was so creative. After then must walk down a "runway" and the bride picks the winner (FYI - they do this at baby showers too...except you have to make a diaper!!!)

2. Quiz about the bride & groom (make up questions & have the groom answer them...) - where did you meet, how long have you been together, what is your favorite restuarant, where are you honeymooning, what were your first impressions, what are their nicknames...etc.

3. bridal bingo

* all winners get prizes (candles, notepads, picture frames, lotion) all stuff that can be purchased at a dollar store.

We also made my sister a "honeymoon bag" & we read a poem to go with it. Inside was lotion, towels, games, flip flops. My other sister is getting married next year. We are doing a lingerie line with a cute poem to go with it.

9. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 10, 2008

Advice Cards...Usually people just hand out pieces of paper & then they give it to the bride but a small book would be nice too.

Recipe cards ... I've been to several bridal showers & this is a must. Everyone received a card in their invitation to place their favorite recipe in it.

Wishing Well... think of something creative. My sister's theme was Pairs... so bring in Spaghetti & a jar of sauce... paper towels & cleaner.... etc.

10. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2008

I found this cute site; they have Bridal shower themes, games, favors, recipes, etiquette and centerpieces.

http://www.abbee.com/

11. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

The shower I went to last weekend had a great idea for a group gift for the bride. All of the guests were asked to send a short story/congrats message and a couple pictures with the bride. Then these stories and pictures were put into a scrapbook to give to the bride at the shower. It brought the bride and others to tears, so sweet...

12. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 11, 2008

Who know the bride the best--You ask the bride about 20 questions prior to the event, she answers each. Then you hand out sheets with the questions on them to people attending...give them a few minutes to answer, whoever answers the most correct, wins!

Groom video--I absolutely LOVE this game. You get the groom by himself and ask him about 10 questions and he answers...you're videotaping all of this. The questions you ask him are about the bride and groom's relationship..."where was your first kiss?", "where did you guys meet?", and you can get deeper into maybe comical but embarassing moments with "what is your brides grossest habit?" etc. So after you videotape the groom, at the bridal shower...gather everyone around the TV and have the bride up front with you. Ask everyone to write on a piece of paper how many answers the bride will be able to match up with the groom. As you play the tape, you will pause it after each question you ask....the bride gets a chance to try and match the grooms answer. It's really fun and if the groom is comical, it can be hilarious!
    We did this for my shower and it was so funny, same with one of my sister's friends' bridal shower.

Wedding scramble--wedding related words that are scrambled up, the guests unscramble them

You can also have little giveaways for the person who drove the furthest, the person who arrived first, and the person who arrived last. :)

People usually give away things like soaps, lotions, and candles...because you're not really sure who is going to win what.

13. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2008

Those games sound fun!

14. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 12, 2008

You guys are great!! Thanks for all the ideas!! I'll let you know how it goes! :)

15. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 12, 2008

Have fun! :)