Bridal Fairs

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Beth2004, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 11, 2007

As many of you know, my fiance and I got engaged on our four year anniversary last June. :love: Because of finances and what-not we weren't sure when we were going to be able to start planning the wedding so we haven't set a date, but I think we're now leaning toward Sept/Oct of 2008. It's still a ways away, but I definitely want to leave myself plenty of time for planning so that I'm not rushing around too much at the last minute.

Anyway, there's a big "Bridal Expo" in a few weeks and I'm wondering if others have found these to be worth it. Here's the description:

Here's your chance to get all your wedding planning done in ONE afternoon, and under ONE roof!!! It's FUN 107's Bridal Expo 2007 at White's of Westport!!! It happens Sunday, January 28th with doors opening at NOON!!! If you are a future bride, bridemaid, mother of the bride, then this is the perfect event to plan your entire wedding. And the BEST part is, it's absolutely FREE!!!

You can get all your invitations, wedding gowns, bridemaids dresses, tuxes, flowers, photographer, entertainment, and so much more at Bridal Expo 2007!!! We'll have OVER 70 exhibitors and TWO fashion shows from Alexandra's Boutique, New York Lace, Robert's Tuxedo Company, and Milestone Flowers so you can plan the PERFECT wedding!!! Plus, register FREE to win thousands of dollars in prizes!!! So mark Sunday, January 28th on your calendar and get ready for Bridal Expo 2007!!!

Since it's free I'm thinking, "why not go?" but I'm just curious about other people's opinions who have been to these types of things.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 11, 2007

I went to one when I was planning my wedding and snagged my photographer, wedding planner, and the string quartet, found my bridesmaids' dresses and bought my unity candle that day. Of course, that is far from everything, but it helped to get so much done in a single day.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2007

I went to a couple. I found it worthwhile just to see what was out there.

5. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jan 12, 2007

I'm in sort of the same situation as you, Beth.
    I've been engaged for about 1.5 years (together almost 6, yikes!). I'm waiting until after I graduate to get married, due to financial constraints. I'm just a poor college student, I really don't want to take out a loan to get married!

Every time I see signs for these bridal expos, I always think there is a catch. Your ad mentions that it is free, so that's good (i'm still wary though!). I've seen some that ask for a door fee. That said, I've never actually been to a bridal expo, only because I've heard from past-bride friends that it's best to go when you know EXACTLY what you want in your wedding (A friend of mine attended one to see if they had the dress she was interested in buying for a cheaper price).
    On the other hand, some people aren't that picky, so I could see how it would be easy to get everything in one day and place. I wish I could be like that! :(

I only have general ideas about what I want, so it wouldnt be in my best interest to go now..maybe later.

We should start a thread on wedding ideas. :love:

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2007

I had better luck going to individual photographers, caterers, florists and DJ's on an individual basis. You get more attention that way.

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 12, 2007

I'm not really at the "full blown" planning stage yet so I think may just go to get some pamphlets and price ideas. I know about how much it's going to be to rent a hall and stuff, but as far as the other things, I'm pretty clueless. I've never rented a limo for myself (my cousin handled the limo for our prom :) ), I've never hired a DJ, etc. so I'm really in the dark. I think it'll be good just to see what's out there. I'm glad to hear that some people had luck going to them. Hopefully I will too!

8. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jan 12, 2007

If you do end up going, please let us know how it goes!

What are you interested in? Indoor/outdoor wedding? Church? Beach? Park?

I love talking about weddings...I can't wait for mine. :)

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 12, 2007

My wedding will most likely be in a church. The problem is that I don't actually belong to a church right now. I had always imagined getting married at the church I grew up going to. It was right up the street from my house and was a HUGE part of my childhood. I don't know the priest that's there now, though and it merged with another church a few years ago so the last time I went some things were done a little differently and I wasn't thrilled with the changes. My plan is to start going to mass at some of the churches in the area and choosing one that I like to start going to on a regular basis and then get married in.

10. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2007

A DJ is a DJ is a DJ...... after everything I saw and went through I realized all I wanted was someone who would listen to my song choices. Our DJ did that. I did not want any dancers or video screens or those extras that they try and sell ya. My DJ was under 1000 .

My DJ had giveaways,but nothing crazy..... I also did not want the music blasting, but at a reasonable volume. I've been to too many weddings where you couldn't have a conversation with the person next to you.

Gator Gal.... tell us more about your plans??? My wedding was 3 years ago.. it flew by, but it was so much fun.

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 12, 2007

Oh, I don't want a DJ that has all sorts of extras either. I want someone to play music and that's it, no games, no prizes, no silly songs, just music to dance to. :)

12. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jan 12, 2007

Wow! I love the fact that you are getting involved in the church you want to be married in...I think that gives the wedding a lot more meaning.

13. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 12, 2007

Yeah, that's the plan at least. I don't want to just set up a meeting with the priest and then talk about getting married there. I'd like to be a part of the church for at least a little while first.

The thing that stinks is that I work at a Christian school right now that is in the church it's affiliated with. It's a Protestant church (I'm Catholic), but that wouldn't stop me from getting married there. I know the pastor really well and I'm very familiar with the way everything works there. My problem is, though, that my grandmother's funeral was there last year and the pastor took the last 15 minutes or so to "preach" to everyone there about finding Jesus as their savior. I guess he realized that there were probably many people there that weren't Christians and he felt like it was his chance to convert them. I felt like it was extremely inappropriate to take the focus off of my grandmother to try to "mission" to people like that and I would be afraid he'd do the same at my wedding.

14. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jan 12, 2007

Hopefully I'm not hijacking Beth's thread...:confused:

MissFrizzle, I want to have a beach wedding...not ON the beach, but maybe on a deck overlooking the sea. Then definitely go indoors for a reception--its so hot and humid in Florida (And my fiance is a huge football fanatic, so anytime during the sept-nov season is off-limits lol).
    I'm also thinking about having the reception with sort of a beachy theme, seashells and all.

I just wish tulips were native to Florida, I absolutely adore them. :(

15. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2007

Beth,

A while back you posted some dresses you had your eye on.... have you changed your mind a thousand times:)

16. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 12, 2007

I seem to be drawn to the same style everytime I look online at dresses. I haven't actually gone and tried any on yet, but I think I will be soon. I am extremely indecisive, though!

17. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2007

Gator,

That sounds like fun. I had a church wedding and it was very personal for me. I've made every sacrament in that church. I like the beach theme. You can do some nice centerpieces with shells and sand... look in a craft store.

18. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 12, 2007

That's how I feel about my old church. :(
    I may still look into getting married there. The priest that I loved isn't there anymore, but who knows, I could really like the man that's there now.

19. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jan 12, 2007

I'm so sorry about your grandmother! :( I would have to agree that it is every Christian's responsibility to share with others the greatness of Jesus, but there is definitely a time and place.
    I know I certainly want to involve God in my ceremony, but I'd be pretty upset if the pastor/minister started turning it into a "preaching" time, and not a wedding time.

20. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2007

Beth,

Could you possibly contact him to officiate for you wherever you choose to be married. My husband's priest said the ceremony for us at my church. He has been a friend of their family for years. and I hate to say it, but money talks at a church. It's a business. There might be a big "donation" but it would be worth it to have your priest say the mass for you.

21. jd019

jd019 Companion

Jan 12, 2007

I just got engaged over Christmas and I plan on going to a few shows, just to see what deals I can get. The wedding isn't until June 2008.

22. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2007

Congratulations.. you may think that's a long way off, but now's the time to start booking places...

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2007

I say go. There are always lots of drawings for freebies. Worst case scenario, you get lots of ideas. Best case, you win a free honeymoon or something.

What's not to love??

24. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 12, 2007

GOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went to one last weekend. I wish had a ring! I could have won a bunch of honeymoons! It was great.
    You need to go! Bring your maid of honor, you will have so much fun.

25. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 12, 2007

Yeah, I'm going to go. It was actually one of my bride's maids who mentioned it to me. Her and one of my maids of honor are going to go with me. The three of us used to be attached at hips and haven't all hung out together in a while (two first year teachers and social worker who's working on her MSW :) ) so it should be a ton of fun!

26. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jan 13, 2007

They even make white chocolate seashells for cakes, completely edible! :)

Beth, what style of dresses are you most drawn to?

27. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Jan 13, 2007

I haven't read all the responses, but I went to a lot of these when I was planning my wedding, my mothers, and then a friends.. You get lots of ideas, and there are always drawings for door prizes, booth prizes, etc that you can sign up for.. my hubby ended up winning like 3 different things.. totally worth it, but it did eat up an entire afternoon.

28. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 13, 2007

Jaime has three dresses that I've looked at on her wedding dress thread! haha That's pretty much the type of style that I'm drawn to.

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=30787

29. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2007

I didn't go to any of those shows. I'm in a very small town, so I ended up hiring people that I knew in town. I also already knew what I wanted for my dress, so I just had to look until I found it. I planned my wedding in a couple of months. It was a moderate-sized church wedding with a reception. Three of my friends also planned "fast" weddings. The longest was 4 months and the shortest 1 month. That's one of the perks of small-town living . . . things don't book up fast!

In two months I was able to schedule the church, the reception hall, the minister, the caterer, the wedding director, the videographer, the photographer, the cake, the decorations, the musicians, my dress, DH's tux, all the attendants' clothes, invitations, showers, and the honeymoon.

I also got married during the school year, so I had to do my regular work as well. And just to make things more interesting, I had THREE pregnant attendants . . . so I bought flat shoes & empire waist tea-length dresses for them.