Brick Walls

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LetsDoSomeMath, Jul 19, 2010.

1. LetsDoSomeMath

LetsDoSomeMath Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

So I finally was able to get into my classroom today-- YEA! Although, I was surprised to see the wall were block not drywall.

I asked about hanging things and they said to use double sided tape--- A friend said they did that and things were always falling off the walls.

Any ideas what I can do?? I was so surprised by the walls--- I didn't even look to see if there were bulletin boards already on the walls. I'm assuming (you know how that goes) that there are 2 or 3 maybe. How do I put up more bulletin boards??? Do I laminate all my boarders and use double sided tape???

Hmmmm-- Help LOL

3. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 19, 2010

There's another thread about this somewhere on here too...

I use hot glue on my walls. The low temp kind...and it didn't seem to peel the paint at all.

Many others have recommended Mavalous tape...but I've never used that

4. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Jul 19, 2010

I agree about the low-temp hot glue. Also, you can always heat it up with a hair dryer before you take it off the wall. The heat lets it come off really easily without ripping paint.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2010

I use velcro a lot myself. I laminate posters but not border...never tried that. :)

6. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Jul 19, 2010

I have brick walls in my room and I use sticky tack to put up my posters/decorations. As long as you knead it a lot before putting it up on the wall it should work just fine.

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 19, 2010

I do laminate my border. It keeps it nice and tape/hot glue peels off nicely.

On my brick wall I use low temp hot glue, masking tape (name brand), or 3M hooks.

When we moved in they told us to only use mavalous tape, but within a month everything was falling down. If you use hot glue make sure your stuff is laminated. It will come down and off the walls much easier. I would test a spot and leave for a little while before doing the entire wall. Some paints may peel (it doesn't happen often, but it can happen).

Masking tape has kept stuff up all year long here. I've learned that with our humidity, it is important to spend a little extra on the name brand stuff instead of the cheap stuff.

I also use the 3M hooks and poster hangers on all my walls. If you use it on regular walls (not brick) you want to make sure you get the ones with the pull off strips. They're wonderful, and when I need to move the hooks I just get the replacement strips.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2010

Hot glue! it picks right off the wall.

9. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 19, 2010

Mavalus tape.

I had always used hot glue before, but this stuff is wonderful - it stays up until you move it. Sticks to anything.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2010

I use hot glue. I always use hot melt. The multi-temp and low temp don't always come off cleanly or have to be heated or scraped. I've used hot melt on wood, whiteboard, chalkboard, enamel painted block, glass, and metal.

11. LetsDoSomeMath

LetsDoSomeMath Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

Thanks everyone... I ran to the teacher store and purchased both malavus tape and some stikki clips--- we'll see how that works. If things start to come down-- I'll try the hot glue next.

Thanks for the ideas!

12. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 19, 2010

I don't think I have ever been in a school with drywall before??

Just a suggestion, you might want to check with your P before you hang a BB on your wall. I would think the only way to safely hang a BB on brick would be to drill special brick screws into the wall.

13. LetsDoSomeMath

LetsDoSomeMath Rookie

Jul 20, 2010

What are your walls made of there???

And as for a bb--- I wasn't going to hang a "board" to attach the bulletin board to--- I was thinking I'd put the butcher paper on the wall (with what? not sure yet) and then tape the boarders around the paper....... Just not sure how that will work as a bulletin board... hence, my original question.

14. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 20, 2010

concrete blocks :) Really I am thinking of all the schools I have been in and I think all of the walls are some type of brick/block/concrete. Do most schools where you are have drywall?

I think the idea of using butcher paper as a BB is a great idea!! Very creative :thumb:

15. LetsDoSomeMath

LetsDoSomeMath Rookie

Jul 20, 2010

How funny! Yes, the walls here are drywall--- To me, it's very weird to have the concrete blocks. When I saw my room-- I had to call a couple of my friends and we all giggled about the walls. We are all used to stapling things into the walls to keep them up LOL.

Isn't funny how things are so different around the US.

My inlaws live in MN, and it's so weird to me that they don't have brick walls (or fences for that matter) around their backyard. We have cinder block (likes what's in my classroom LOL) around our whole backyard, as well as every other house here.

Just makes me giggle.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2010

WE have cinderblock on all our classroom walls.

I use lots of masking tape. Lots of small pieces; the large pieces don't work nearly as well.

And ask before you use a glue gun or make any similar changes to your classroom.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2010

Ours are as well--painted a "lovely" shade of off-beige. We use masking tape, the sticky blue stuff, hot glue (for larger things). If we want anything hung permanently, we need to put in a request to the caretakers--they will drill, plug and mount for us.

18. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2010

I used to teach in an old school that had cement walls. I used hot glue for everything. I love it and it comes off easy. yes laminate posters.

I have laminated border. It's a pain to cut out, but does really save the border. So if you have border you really love you may want to (although I haven't done it since my 1st year - now I figure I'll just buy it again). But you can do it.

19. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2010

A got a great tip to help re-use things: when you're taping them up, first stick a small piece of packing tape flat on the back of whatever you're hanging. Then, attach your masking tape to that and stick it on the wall. When you're ready to take it down, the masking tape will easily come off the packing tape, leaving your border or whatever undamaged!

20. TeachingTy2010

TeachingTy2010 Comrade

Jul 20, 2010

I've seen hot glue places on the walls, but the issue was that the hot glue once dried and been on the wall for the whole year..how do you get it off the wall lol..

What about those little putty things?