Bribing or Buttering Up People to do a Good Job

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 14, 2011

I'm bored right now. Have any of you ever done a little something for someone because you know you'll be depending on them to do something for you? I'm not talking about anything unethical or against the law here. Maybe you do this w/ your gardener, babysitter, etc. (Tipping is different because it's done AFTER something's done.)

The rare occasion when my parents were about to have a minor surgery, they've given the dr a box of candy. In a small way, the dr's going to think about how he was treated & hopefully go above & beyond.

My BF's having some auto work done that will (hopefully) get his car to pass smog & I JOKED that he should mention to the mechanic that he (my BF) has the chance to write internet reviews on places & to ask the mechanic, he wouldn't want a bad review written for all to see would he! But my BF's not going to go that far to say that. ;) I, however definitely do post reviews on a lot of places I've been to.

3. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Apr 14, 2011

When my Mom was in a nursing home, I would always bring the staff treats regularly and special goodies on the holidays, appreciating the job they did, but also hoping they might treat her with a bit more kindness. Not that they weren't kind-but, you know what I mean.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 15, 2011

I do, yes that's nice.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2011

I kind of assume that they'll do a good job.

I've been known to give a gift as appreciation for a good job, or for going above and beyond, but not in anticipation of getting something I might not otherwise.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2011

I bring our caretakers coffee every Friday morning--not as a bribe or to butter them up (although I've been accused of that), but because it's a nice thing to do. They go above and beyond every single day and don't get the appreciation they deserve from everyone.

7. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 16, 2011

I would use "the six pack gift" to the janitors so I would keep them in good graces. Sometimes the shop would need some "extra time" in the evening.
    I knew if the janitor found a six pack in a cooler in their car I'd get that extra touch that the shop needed.
    I also had a refrigerator, I would keep cokes in it for myself and subs. I told the janitors to get one whenever they needed one.
    I have always used six packs I guess it is a guy thing