breathe in... breathe out..

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by njteach41, Aug 28, 2012.

1. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Aug 28, 2012

going absolutely insane.. still waiting on my employment status. hired almost two weeks ago (verbal from the principal, no contract, not contact from HR at all). School starts on Tuesday. I finally got through to HR and they just told me they never heard of me. If this position goes to someone else... well.. i don't know how i'll take that but it won't be good.

the days are long and drawn out.. trying to keep myself busy, but i'm starting to lose it lol.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

Have you been able to speak with the principal?

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2012

MrsC... I was thinking the same thing. I would be calling like every other day until I wa able to talk to someone!!!

5. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 28, 2012

i would get in touch with someone ASAP, especially with school starting next week. You should have orientation and be able to set up your classroom.

6. njteach41

Aug 28, 2012

I did contact the Principal. No response yet either. Its just a very unorganized system that is in the works. Normally, I would have faith and just let the hiring process happens when it happens, but I've been out of work for a while, no money coming in now that subbing is over, and if this doesn't go through there are a lot of changes that will have to take place in my life (and not for the best). Getting this job was the saving grace so I'm just emotionally vested in this to happen and am antsy about it.

7. njteach41

Aug 28, 2012

and New Teacher Orientation was 2 weeks ago.. But i'm returning to the district and I've been through that Orientation so i'm ok with missing that.

8. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 28, 2012

What about setting up your classroom? Did HR give you any suggestions?

9. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Aug 28, 2012

I really feel for you because I realize that this must be very stressful. I think you could pay a visit to the principal's office. Talk it up with the secretary and they can be your biggest ally. He or she might be able to tell you something if you are polite and just express that you're excited to get started. Just an idea.

10. NJSocialStudies

NJSocialStudies Rookie

Aug 28, 2012

I would show up at the school ready to go TODAY!!! I've been setting up since the end of last week and have much more to do (now that I have cash from last year saved up, prior to that I was in your position). What kind of district do you work for that they would let a new hire slip through the cracks? I couldn't get away from the amount of emails I got in the very beginning (sign up for Discovery Education, sign up for Staples discounts, attend New Hire Orientation, supplies lottery, hello emails from department members, etc...).

If you show up, the worst that can happen is they say that you are not permitted to be there until your work status is clarified, in which case people usually boost priority level for someone in person.

If for some reason there was some kind of "fishy" business going on, just remember a "verbal offer" is just as good as one in writing. Let no one tell you otherwise. I hope your situation ends up being a lost piece of paper somewhere in the chain of command and is solved quickly. However, if it is not, and you you are told that the job is not yours for some reason, I urge you to contact an employment lawyer immediately. Trust me, school districts settle and while it is not a job in your pocket, you can get compensation for this school's illegal action. Good luck!

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 28, 2012

I would definitely go into school tomorrow and talk to the principal about it. No more waiting for an email or phone call- go in and hopefully claim your job. :)

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2012

Did you get a hold of anyone today? :hugs:

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

Im so sad you are going through this...let us know what you find out.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2012

Go into school tomorrow and speak to the principal. HR "has never heard of you"???? That would have me pretty worried.

15. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Aug 28, 2012

Go in and talk to the principal right away.

16. njteach41

Aug 28, 2012

***Update***

I did get some some more info today, if you can call it that. I actually spoke to HR and they told me that I had to be approved and my name was submitted for the position. I asked for a time frame on this decision and the woman kind of hesitated and said it should be tomorrow.

My plan is to give them until noon tomorrow. If I don't hear anything by then, I will start with the phone calls. If I don't have a solid answer by the end of tomorrow, I am letting them know that I am coming to the board office on Thursday morning.

It's a special program within a school so there isn't an office/secretary/principal... it's just the director and she has told me that we have to wait for HR, it's out of her hands.

Again, very large district with organizational issues... I've already taught in this district and am fully aware of the issues lol. It just stinks that they can't get their act together.

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2012

Some info is better than no info! More :hugs:

18. njteach41

Aug 29, 2012

thanks everyone :) its so nice to have the support here from people who are in your field :) i really appreciate it. i'll let you know how today goes.

19. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 29, 2012

I would say it's before the BOE now. Do they actually meet tomorrow? If so they obviously won't vote til the meeting so if that's after 12 you might not hear back. Check the website for their next meeting date.

20. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2012

Hoping you heard more today or hear more tomorrow!!

21. njteach41

Aug 29, 2012

not so much today.... "we have a lot more info coming down the pike, I'll let you know"

must be a looooooong pike.

22. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2012

The good news is, there's 2 days left this week! I really hope you hear something tomorrow. When do kids start? We go back Tues., and kids start Wed.

23. njteach41

Aug 29, 2012

Thanks :) We go back Tuesday. The good thing is, students don't come back until Thursday. Tuesday is filled with meetings and Wednesday is for setup and tying up loose ends.

24. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 29, 2012

Great to hear! You're a lot more patient than I am :D