Breaks

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Sep 3, 2019.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 3, 2019

I like to give my students occasional talk breaks as long as they don't behave inappropriately. For instance, I will allow them to talk as I'm handing back graded work as long as they stay in their seats and the volume is reasonable. They've been very responsible with that. However, I realized that admin may view this unfavorably as "off task behavior" during a quick walkthrough. I have my kids for about a 3 hour stretch so they need a break. Should I give them a focus task to work on as we're transitioning? I guess they could keep flashcards in their desks or play an educational video for moments like these. What are your thoughts?

We do official brain breaks occasionally with GoNoodle too, but this is more about the short moments when we're passing out textbooks or papers. I'm very careful normally about protecting instructional time.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2019

I see nothing wrong with that.

And if there's any question - rephrase it into asking whether you'd ask teachers to be 100% on task for three straight hours, not allowed to have a quick talk break for a moment during a quick transition...

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2019

I have older kids but I think that’s totally fine. For passing out materials, it’s right before an activity so it doesn’t make sense for the kids to do another activity while they wait a minute.

I usually do try to make the kids do work when passing back grades work. This year, I think I’m going to use my intervention time to pass back assessments. I usually pass back graded work during the warm up, independent work, or the exit ticket. I find that it would eat up too much time otherwise. But if I had my kids for 3 hours, I probably would do exactly what you do! :)

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Sep 3, 2019

I understand the worry. It's legitimate one.

I'd love to have the clout with administration to talk reasonably about such activity before a walk-through would even happen.

I might be able to drum up evidence of it being a social development positive.

That's likely wishful thinking. Stuff gets lost on the way to paper in an observation.

But, somehow, putting on an educational video, even flashcards, seems overdoing it, unless you can really get a pattern down.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 3, 2019

That's what it always comes back to for me - as an adult, I'd hate having to be "on task" for 3 straight hours.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 3, 2019

I think the big thing is that the students need to be able to give you the attention when you ask for it. If you allow them to talk, but they know to stop when you give them a signal to stop, then admin. will be probably okay with it. If they are talking and you have difficulty getting them to stop, then admin. might have a problem with it.

Tired Teacher and bella84 like this.
  8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 3, 2019

That's my worry. Our walkthroughs are usually 60 seconds ish. I worry my admin would get the wrong picture and not ask for any clarification.

Flashcards definitely seem like a lot, but I've used videos in transitions many times before. They're good because students stay quiet, but it's still not much of a talk/movement break.

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  9. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 3, 2019

They get quiet right away. So that's good. They know they'll lose the privilege otherwise.

Backroads likes this.
  10. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2019

You could also have a student lead a movement break while you are passing back papers.

otterpop likes this.
  11. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Sep 4, 2019

Are you saying students have no recess or similar break for three hours? I can’t recall a college course, workshop or seminar where participants were not afforded a break during a scheduled three hour session. In terms of learning, I think most research points towards how well students are taught as opposed to how long they are taught. Depending on the age of students we did “yoga breaks” - warrior, down dog etc. - every half hour or hour. As a result, students were able to focus better and were less “ants in the pants”.

Administration and teachers might consider Madeline Hunter’s take on effective instruction, “It’s not that critical what you put into students. What’s critical is what you get out.” In other words, if you are realizing a lot of cooperation and time on task despite talk breaks then the technique is working. If students are less cooperative and/or engagement rate is dropping it’s time to reexamine the technique. As an administrator I wouldn’t observe and say, “What you are doing is wrong.” Instead, “Why did you choose to give students a talk break at that time?”