Breaks

Discussion in 'General Education' started by giraffe326, Oct 16, 2014.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2014

We don't start until after Labor Day, so we have been all day, every day since the first day of school. :dizzy::yawn::crosseyed:| Today was day 33 for us.

I knew this was the longest stretch for us. I sat down during planning and looked at all of our breaks to see how many days we have to go before we get a break.

Current stretch- 12 more days until a break. Total of 45 days without a break.

Then, 14 days until a break. This includes a half day on the 3rd day of 14.

Followed by:
    15 days until a break (Snow Days possible, but unlikely)
    10 days until a break (Snow Days possible)
    19 days until a break (Snow Days possible)
    10* days until a break (Snow Days possible) (*This 'break' is a PD day, but due to the nature of the class, it is a break for me!!)
    21 days until break (Snow Days possible, but less likely)
    30 days until a break
    14 days until summer! (Assuming no make up days)

I'm very happy to know that my longest stretch is behind me!! Even if I don't count the PD day as a break, it is only 32 days (counting the PD day) between breaks.

I also have a few PD things scattered in as well, but a sub will be in my room. The March is a district PD day with no kids.

3. tcfullersoccer

tcfullersoccer Rookie

Oct 16, 2014

What about all those breaks every 5 days? That's what most of the working world gets!

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2014

The working world doesn't have to deal with my class. I've been told by numerous people that they are the worst group the district has ever seen. EVER.
    I can't believe that I've made it 33 days to be honest. 147 to go.....

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 16, 2014

I know how you feel. We had one day for Labor Day, and then the next break is Thanksgiving Vacation. Really long stretch.

Also the working world doesn't often take home their work on weekends. Two days isn't long enough imo.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 16, 2014

We started in early August. Since then we had 1 day off, Labor Day (I love long weekends, it seems that sometimes all I need is just one extra day). So we've been in school for a little over 2 months, 1 day break. I have almost another month before a long weekend - Veteran's day. We've had minimum day's once a month, and we'll have a few more, but it's a long stretch.

It seems that November and December will go by quickly with Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving and then winter break :)

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2014

When I was in public school, we usually went from a day off for Martin Luther King Day until the end of April. They didn't want to give us a break before state testing because they thought the kids would lose too much learning. So...let's burn them out by practice testing for three months before the test! No recess, art, science, social studies, etc either.

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 16, 2014

I'm on a one week fall break right, and, I must say, it's very nice!

Teachers started late July, and students started early August. Other than this break, we had a three day weekend at Labor Day with a few Friday full or half PD days thrown in the mix. Now we have Thanksgiving and Christmas break to look forward to!

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2014

We have Election Day off because my school is a polling location.

No one around here has Veteran's Day off. I always had it off in North Carolina.

My parents were confused when I worked on Columbus Day. I had it off as a kid, but I don't know of anyone with it off anymore!

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 17, 2014

Me too!

We had 9 weeks of school, and then a week break. Then we'll have 5 weeks until a week off for Thanksgiving, and then 3 weeks until two weeks off for Christmas. After that...I can't think that far ahead, lol.

11. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2014

True. But I would argue that few people could do - or want to do - our job. When I hear people say things like this; I invite them to come to my school and teach for a day - come on down! - and let's see if they survive and then want to return the next day.

Anyway, today is day 37 ... 143 to go. :(

12. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Oct 17, 2014

Everyone that works 3rd shift says the same things too:)

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2014

I've been back since the beginning of August. We got Labor Day off and won't get another break until a week at Thanksgiving. Only 25 more days!

14. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 17, 2014

I'm off today as a conference comp day- don't get me wrong, the day off is nice, but I did have to be at school for 14 hours straight the two days before this, so I don't know if it "counts" lol. We don't really get any of the typical "three day weekend" holidays. We got labor day and besides this comp day, no other breaks until Thanksgiving. We're one of the only district around here that doesn't do fall break. No one around here gets Veterans Day, 'Columbus Day, Good Friday, or President's Day. School starts early and is typically already out by Memorial Day.

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 17, 2014

Yikes! I had off on Monday and will have an inservice office day next Friday. Cannot imagine having such a long stretch.

16. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Oct 17, 2014

Yeah I had Columbus Day off as a kid too but we did not have it off here.......we get Election Day off because many of our schools are polling locations.

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 17, 2014

Same here.

18. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 17, 2014

I worked graveyard shift for three years. It was just lovely. If they ever open up an overnight elementary school, sign me up.

19. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Oct 17, 2014

We started the end of July, kids started August 1. We had off Labor Day and then today at 2:30 we got to start our fall break. We then have, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Don't want to think past then.

20. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 17, 2014

We don't get a fall break either. We have Labor Day off and then nothing until Thanksgiving. The kids have some days off because we have PD. It's nice to have a break from the kids but a half day is also very hectic and then we sit in PD!

21. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 17, 2014

We had MLK and Labor Day. Next one is Thanksgiving.