Breaking teaching contract?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Dorito, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Dorito

Dorito New Member

Oct 28, 2019

So it's my first year and my fiance has just gotten a job starting in January a few hours away. We live together so I need to break my contact to move with him.

My contract has a paragraph about breaking the contract that says "except in situations which the employer, in the reasonable exercise if it's discretion, deems to be an emergency, this contract shall not be terminated by the employee without written consent of the employer." And it goes on to say that if I break the contract without consent of the employer, action may be taken against my certification.

So what I'm getting from this is that as long as the employer says it's okay I can break my contract? I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or experience with doing this sort of thing, and in general are employers usually pretty understanding in these situations?

Thanks!

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 28, 2019

Typically our district lets people out of contacts with no issues for such instances.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 28, 2019

Around here, it's also fairly common for a district to allow a teacher out of a contract in order to move with a spouse. We don't have a shortage here, so it would be easy to replace someone.

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 28, 2019

Exactly. It is your employer's call. What you described is a common reason I have seen teachers leave near the end of the 1st semester. Most Ps will be fine with your request and understand. The odds are in your favor. I wish you the best.