Breaking Contract

Discussion in 'General Education' started by peridotylayne, Aug 15, 2007.

1. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Aug 15, 2007

I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.. but a new school that is opening up this school year in the school district that I would love to work for :wub: just called me for an interview. Problem is.. I have a contract with another district already. This school I'm interviewing for knows this and said if they decide to hire me I can try and break my contract with the other school district.

Anyone ever had experience with this before?? :unsure:

3. mincc

mincc Companion

Aug 15, 2007

I am surprised a school would tell you to see if you can break a contract. Although with this field, nothing should surprise me anymore....

I would never break a contract. First of all, there are legal ramifications. I know that maybe they will never come to light, but it is possible you could wind up being sued. Secondly, it looks bad. You signed and made a commitment. The only way I could see getting out of a contract is if you are sick, a family member is sick, your spouse has been re-located or the school blatantly lied about the job/misled you in a very huge way. Serious issues like these.

What are the stipulations of your contract? Mine is that I must give 60 days notice. I know when I worked as a TA and gave the 60 days, I was given a letter that said if they found someone before that time, they would let me leave early. That did not happen.

I would think that if you were under contract, the other school would be willing to wait until you fulfilled the obligations with your current district. Once that was done, you would be free to sign with them-perhaps, you would have been approved prior, pending release from your current contract.

If this school does offer you a job, I would NOT sign anything. I would tell your current school that you have been given another offer and follow the proper procedures.

Good luck!

4. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Aug 15, 2007

In Texas, you can only break a contract if you are moving up in job position (ie. got a job as a counselor, principal, instructional officer, etc), moving a long distance, or ask and are granted permission to leave. Otherwise, if the district decides to be strict, they can have your license revoked for a year. I would be very very very careful and consult your teachers union or a lawyer. You don't want to be completely out of a job for a year, or have your professional reputation jeopardized.

Good Luck!

5. 3rdgraderules!

3rdgraderules! Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

In my district we have to pay a penalty that increases as the school year approaches. I believe that at this point (we are about a week from the start of school) I'd have to pay $1,000 to be released. This language is written in our contract and we are legally bound to pay the amount.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2007

In my district you have to give 60 days notice. What is in your contract regarding resigning? We just had 2 teachers in my district leave last week (less than 30 days to school!) and they are already sorting through the resumes and setting up interviews...

7. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 15, 2007

To be honest, I wouldn't break a contract, and I wouldn't hire anyone who broke their contract. I'd thank them and tell them I'm very interested in re-applying for next year.

8. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

I wouldn't break the contract. Just my :2cents:

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2007

I had only verballed committed to a job and continued interviewing. I was honest with the principal (where I student taught). He said my word was too important and although he let me interview and was very impressed with me, he decided not to offer me the position because of my verbal commitment. In the long run, it was a good choice b/c I wound up there the following year in a better grade...but it was hard hearing the truth:( Just my thoughts...