Breaking contract mid-year

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LilyJames38, Oct 2, 2019.

1. LilyJames38

LilyJames38 Rookie

Oct 2, 2019

I want to break my contract! I used to teach part-time at our local Community College. I wanted full-time with benefits and retirement so I took a job teaching middle school math and science at a local private STEM school. There are no benefits or retirement but I took the job anyways as a one year deal to myself to build my resume teaching at a secondary level. This has ended up being the worst mistake I've ever made.
    The pay is $14.50 an hour, no paid days off that includes holidays, no subs therefore I will be written up if I ever call off or show up late, I am the only teacher on the grounds therefore I get no bathroom breaks, I eat lunch with the students and I was handed a paper the other day that said I am in no way shape or form allowed to plan or do any grading during the school hours.
    This is not what I signed up for. I was told when I was hired in that they would be hiring another teacher for K through 5 and I would be responsible for Math and Science 6 through 12. But now I am teaching Math, Science, Social Studies, Reading, Writing, and art in grades K through 12. When I asked just the other day when they would be hiring another teacher I was told they're not going to, everything was my responsibility.
    I personally don't think I get paid enough to teach K through 12 I now have to make lesson plans for every single subject area for every single grade level it is absolutely ridiculous. On top of all of this, they treat me like garbage. They will come in a room and start yelling at me in front of all the kids for something that's completely out of my control. I don't think I can make it to the end of the week let alone the end of the school year.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Oct 2, 2019

Um that sounds awful.
    Is some of that stuff even legal? No breaks? You can't even go to the bathroom!? And $14.50/hr is NOTHING.
    I'd leave too. ASAP

4. LilyJames38

LilyJames38 Rookie

Oct 2, 2019

No, some of it is not legal. I have contacted the Dept of Education about it, and they verified it is not legal. But if I break my contract mid-year I can still have my license suspended. Even if it's for one day, it will be public record.

5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 2, 2019

That does sound terrible. I'd be out as well.

Who is the "they" when you say they'll yell at you when you are teaching? How is there a school with only 1 k-12 teacher?

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 2, 2019

Did the dept of ed give you any recommendations for courses of action?

7. LilyJames38

LilyJames38 Rookie

Oct 2, 2019

It is a new school with less than 24 kids, hence one teacher. "They" is the owner and the so-called curriculum director. The curriculum director who has yet to give me any sort of curriculum in any way shape or form to follow.

8. LilyJames38

LilyJames38 Rookie

Oct 2, 2019

Sort of. They said to document everything and when I resign to make sure I have all my information. They said it is up to the school to refer me to them to have my license suspended. They did tell me to list in my resignation the reasons why I am leaving so maybe she wouldn't refer me because she herself wouldn't want to be investigated.

Tired Teacher, Backroads and bella84 like this.
  9. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 3, 2019

I’d be out of there immediately. I wouldn’t even bother worrying about the possible suspension. It is unlikely it will come to that, and no job is worth all you are dealing with.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2019

Take the advice you have been given and get out now, if you can afford to. Even if the school tries to have you investigated you will have enough evidence for the dept of ed to act against them, not you.
    It sounds like this "school" got going well before they were ready.

Tired Teacher, Backroads and bella84 like this.
  11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 3, 2019

Take all your stuff home with you today and then call to quit after you are home. If you have to state reasons for your resigning you have a laundry list of items to call them out on.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 3, 2019

Yeah, this school doesn't seem well thought out. I wonder if the parents know there is only 1 teacher. Who would send their kids to this kind of school?

futuremathsprof and bella84 like this.
  13. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Oct 3, 2019

Wow, that sounds extremely difficult. Almost impossible to balance all of that even for a small amount of students.

14. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2019

Get a lawyer. From the sound of things you might be able to sure them for breach of contract, or have the contract voiced by a court.

Or, let them know your plans to call them out on every single one of their infractions and deal them letting you or of your contact for your silence. But do it through a lawyer.

15. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Oct 3, 2019

I'm going to say it -- putting a hold on a teacher's license takes time and MONEY to do. Then, they will have to hire a lawyer if they do it and you fight it, which will cost them money. It doesn't sound like they have enough money to make ends meet, so I wonder if the threat of putting a hold on your license isn't terribly probable. Possible? Of course, but probable? Not really.

This is a rinky-dink operation. They obviously don't know what they are doing. They obviously don't have enough capital right now to run things properly even if they did know what they were doing (which they don't.)

First order of business -- quietly take home all your personal items right away. Second, carefully word your resignation letter. Tell them that "regretfully you must resign, effective October 4th, because of continued violations of the labor law regarding breaks." Then sign it in blue ink, and scan it on color mode. Put the same thing in an email, and attach the scan. Legally, they have t have your resignation with a signature. This fulfills that requirement. You could also say, "If you need any additional information, please contact my lawyer." You don't really have to have a lawyer at this point, but it lets them know you are ready to play "hard ball."

Chances are they'll spout and scream, call you all kinds of names, and such, but you'll be free. And I hate to tell you this, but you can get a job at Chic-fil-a that pas $14.50 an hour until you get another job. Just practice saying "It's my pleasure!" (just joking about that.)

Also, if they are this rinky-dink, that contract probably isn't worth the paper it is written on. Very few contracts for private schools would hold up in a legal proceeding. They always think they can do it themselves, and they aren't generally even written by a lawyer. They don't usually hold up.

If you want to give yourself some assurances, first take your stuff home right away, and second call the Department of Education back and ask them what is the procedure for putting a teacher's license on hold due to breaking their contract. Find out what kind of documents they must present and what the time table is. You might find that it takes a while, and by then, you'll already be happily teaching some place else, or doing something else you can enjoy.

Best of luck!

16. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 3, 2019

I would do exactly this.

17. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Oct 4, 2019

How does one find a job as awful as this?

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  18. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 4, 2019

To begin... no offense at all to those in private schools.

But... I would submit the issue is the romance of the private school. Private schools just sound better. So administration thinks that just because they made a private school, it's excellent. They fail to take into consideration how to run a school.

Tired Teacher and vickilyn like this.
  19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 4, 2019

The school probably sounded good on paper.

Backroads likes this.
  20. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Oct 5, 2019

The kids here would say, "What kinda crack they smokin?" I am pretty sure you could make 15 bucks an hr doing a lot of jobs w/breaks and less stress. I'd start looking asap if I were you. They would not waste time and money to sue or take action against you. They lied to you. Good luck! You will find something much better!

21. LilyJames38

LilyJames38 Rookie

Oct 8, 2019

Thank you everyone for responses! Someone asked how do you find a job that that. Well, let me tell you. It was for JH/HS Math and Science is what the job title was. I went in for the interview and was told they are a STEM school that doesn't teach for state tests. I was told I could teach anyway I wanted as long as all the standards were met. Sounds great right?? I originally planned on teaching fundamentals like Monday through Wednesday or Monday through Thursday as spending Friday using Hands-On approaches to gain a better understanding. That was a big no. I am in no way shape or form allowed to use any worksheets or any textbooks. There is no typical classroom teachings allowed to go on has to all be Hands-On. I then learn I will be teaching all content areas not just math and science. I then questioned why I had the K through five kids and was told they do not plan on hiring another teacher. So basically everything sounded really good in the interview. They're going to hire K through 5 teacher and me, I was only going to be teaching math and science and I'd be able to teach anyway I wanted. It was after I signed the contract that none of this happened. I am truly disappointed....

22. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 8, 2019

Run. Away.

(And don’t look back.)

MrTempest and bella84 like this.
  23. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 8, 2019

Or, if you feel confident that you can hold things over their head...tell them how you will be teaching for the foreseeable future, just like you agreed during your interview. You will expect them to hire the other teacher within the next week. If not, your resignation and letter from your lawyer will be on their desk within the week.

24. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 8, 2019

It's bold, you are seriously thinking of quitting anyway, and it still counts as very professional. I like it.

Tired Teacher and bella84 like this.
  25. StarryEyedMess

StarryEyedMess Rookie

Oct 8, 2019

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I am also a teacher that I wants out before the year is over. Your conditions sound even worse than mine. Considering how so many of those conditions are not up to code with labor laws, I would file a complaint against the school and try to open an investigation. I also recommend leaving because no job that pays 14.50 an hour is worth dying over. To hell with them. If they have the gall to after your credentials, you can fight that all the way. Just please get out for your own good! Getting an investigation on them is good too because it will prevent more poor souls to be sucked into their death trap.

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 9, 2019

They're doing these things because they can and nobody is calling them out on anything. You would think if YOU were their only teacher they would be bending over backwards to make you happy and want to stay. They honestly sound like complete imbeciles!

Tired Teacher and StarryEyedMess like this.
  27. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Oct 9, 2019

If they're smart the contract specifically says nothing that's not in the contract is included--for example, promises made at the interview. (Sometimes called a "four corners" clause, for the four corners of the paper) But we pretty much know they're not smart, right?

For a lawyer, that makes those promises fair game for all sorts of arguments -- that THEY are the ones who breached, at a minimum, and possibly fraud. But you've gotten lots of very decent suggestions here.

28. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Oct 15, 2019 at 10:47 AM

Everything about this school sounds shady. Although just an assumption, I feel they are bluffing about being able to report your break of contract to the state. You should have plenty of rights as a teacher, not limited to time off and healthcare. If they are denying you that it is probably because they are a bogus school.

29. LilyJames38

LilyJames38 Rookie

Oct 16, 2019 at 3:07 PM

*Update - I left!! I finally freaking left! I finally had enough yesterday, and just quit. I feel no remorse or guilt, today has been the most stress free... holy crap I feel amazing! Thank you all for the suggestions and support!

30. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Oct 16, 2019 at 3:30 PM

Awesome! Good for you!

And please keep us posted. What was their reaction? What did they say? How will they replace you? What are you next plans?

31. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 16, 2019 at 3:33 PM

Yeah, I definitely want the story detail for detail! This is awesome!

bella84 and futuremathsprof like this.
  32. LilyJames38

LilyJames38 Rookie

Oct 16, 2019 at 3:48 PM

Well, it all started around 5:30 am yesterday. My child is sick and needed to go to the dr, plus my dog was in labor. I was just like, forget this, I'm staying home to much going on. I called and was told to bad, I HAD to come in. I stood firm and said no, and she told me, yes figure something out, then just hung up on me. I was pissed, how rude and unprofessional. I literally went and grabbed my laptop and wrote my resignation letter. I cited all the laws that had been broken. I ended with stating that if she decided to prefer me to the Office of Professional Conduct, then I would be more than happy to sit down with them and explain the numerous reason for my abrupt resignation. I sent it, the response I got was "Thank you."

I am friends with a mom there (who pulled her child out last week), and she told me an email was sent out about my departure and that they will have another teacher hired by the end of the month.... ya right!

I woke up with the biggest smile on my face today, good riddance!! Plus, my dog delivered 9 perfect, healthy puppies yesterday!! I feel like a million bucks!

33. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2019 at 4:06 PM

I am so happy for you! Life is not long enough to spend it in a miserable job!!
    Congrats on the puppies. What kind of dog are they?

34. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Oct 16, 2019 at 4:06 PM

Wow, that “school” should be shut down. Jerks. And congrats on the healthy puppies. I hope your child is feeling better, as well.

35. LilyJames38

LilyJames38 Rookie

Oct 16, 2019 at 4:09 PM

They are labs, we have 7 yellow and 2 black, I am in love! If anyone is interested in a lab around mid December, let me know, lol

Backroads likes this.
  36. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 16, 2019 at 4:13 PM

Good for you for leaving !

But, if they're hiring a teacher by the end of the month, who's going to teach in the meanwhile? A secretary? :)

37. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 16, 2019 at 6:07 PM

Truthfully... Where are you located?

38. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 16, 2019 at 6:08 PM

This is my burning question as well. Who is teaching the kids?

bella84 and futuremathsprof like this.
  39. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 17, 2019 at 12:02 PM

Hallelujah!!

40. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 17, 2019 at 12:03 PM

Custodian maybe??

MrTempest and Linguist92021 like this.
  41. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Oct 17, 2019 at 7:02 PM

Subs don't need teaching credentials in most (if not all)states so they probably got a random person to fill the spot :rolleyes: