Breaking contract four weeks before it is up

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teachersk, Jul 13, 2009.

1. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2009

I had a really rough time at my job this year. I had some major conflicting issues with ethical and philosophical objections to the way the school does things, real long story.

At any rate-- I secured an AWESOME job for next year, in which I get to start an autism program. I am pumped.

I'm having such a hard time making it to the end of my contract. It ends the second week of Aug. Part of mr REALLY wants to just put in two weeks and leave it at that. It's so hard to wake up in the morning and I have parents who verbally abuse me with an admin that doesn't back me up. At the same time, how dumb is that to break a contract when I've made it THIS far.

I guess I had a bad day and just wish I could enjoy my summer, especially since I have a new job to look forward to.

What would be the consequences of breaking my contract,?? I don't think any because I have the new job???

I'm just so checked out and almost feel it would be better for the kids to have fresh meat in the teacher position (literally).

Any thoughts?? Obviously if I stay I'll do my best ... It's just incredibly hard to get knocked to the ground (literally and figuratively) on a daily basis.

Help!

3. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 13, 2009

I would finish the contract, especially if you currently have a classroom full of kids. It's not fair to leave them with a sub unless there's an emergency. The only way I would leave the kids hanging is if you think these belligerent parents are going to do something career-ending, like file a false lawsuit or something. Otherwise, you need to show them the importance of honoring your promises.

As for consequences besides a guilty conscience and a lighter wallet? What if you need that school for a reference later on? Yeah, they may still give you a bad reference even if you stay, but a bad reference plus "she left her contract early" would look pretty bad.

I definitely understand your situation...I've been in the same one, but I think you should put in the four last weeks.

4. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jul 13, 2009

I would definitely stay until the end of your contract. I agree with the above poster. Actually you probably have 4 weeks left? I realize that when things are going awful that may seem like a long time but compared to your whole life, is it that long? Just keep in mind that you are moving on, moving on to something that is exciting for you. Give your all to the kids to the very end. The parents won't realize how good you were for those kids until you are gone. Hang in there!!!

5. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2009

Oh they will give me a spectacular reference. They're devastated that I'm leaving. So that's not an issue. I do get that I probably wouldn't get as good of one if I broke my contract.

The only reason I'm there as long as I have been: the kids. Love those buggers to death. My school is so specialized, they don't do subs. So honestly they wouldn't miss a beat (the kids) because I'm in charge of all of the behind the scenes stuff (IEP, BIP, etc).

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 13, 2009

What exactly are you having trouble WITH?

You are obviously going to be going to a new school. you need to be THERE when school starts. so you WON'T be at THIS school... so what is the trouble?

Is it the actual SAYING you are leaving? Or is it that you are feeling that since you are leaving... your heart isn't in it to finish the year strong?

1... if it's the first. Put it in a letter and drop it on the Principal's desk (or in his/her box) one morning. The big surprise will be exposed before they can get to talk to you...and you just have to hold strong through the ensuing conversation. maybe there won't even BE one... and things will just end quietly (you can hope).

2...if it's the second one. Just be there for the kids you have come to care about. Give everything you need to them...but think of your evenings -when you come home to plan your NEW job- like a wonderfully anticipated dessert at the end of a ho-hum meal (yor current job).

7. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2009

It's the second one :) But I did have to go through #1 and no it was not quiet. It was awkward and hard to do but in the end I'm so excited for my new opportunity.

Thanks for the analogy. I'm going to just work on my stuff for next year, because it makes me feel EXCITED. let's just say I can't wait for dessert. The meal must be food poisoning or something LOL..

8. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Jul 13, 2009

It's what Sarah Palin would call "the lame duck syndrome>'
    Of course, she's not a quitter (wink, wink).

9. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Jul 13, 2009

Unless this is going to overlap with your new job, I wouldn't even consider breaking your contract. First, you will probably have to pay a penalty. Our contracts require that you pay a percentage of your salary if you break it, and we're talking thousands and thousands of dollars. Second, you will have to mark on every application that you ever do from this point on that you broke a contract. That almost guarantees that the principal will send your application to the circular file.

Just keep focusing on the future. I actually love having autistic kids in my class, and you must be somebody special to get to work with them all day. Let the countdown begin and ride it out. :)

10. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 13, 2009

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Seriously I would not break my contract. In my district they charge you. Also you can make the month and you don't want on your resume that you left a position before it was over. Also think of the kids. It's hard on them to get a different teacher this far into year.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 14, 2009

In my state, a school can file to revoke your license for a period of time if you break a contract.

Start a countdown thread here! We'll help you through it. Focus on finding one good thing from each day, and tell us about it!

12. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Jul 14, 2009

You'll work two weeks if you give a two weeks notice, but if you stay, it's 4 weeks. It's just two extra weeks, you'll survive.:hugs: