Breaking anews employment offer

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Lindley_B, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Lindley_B

Lindley_B New Member

Jun 24, 2016

Hello,
    I am a new teacher facing a tough decision. I graduated in 2015 with my teaching degree and have been unable to find a job. I live in southern Illinois. Luckily I live 20 minutes from a major city in another statemail, so I am able to apply there as well. My problem is that it has been a year, and I've yet to find a job. After interviews I inevitably get the call saying they want a more experienceserious teacher. Out of desperation I applied to an inner city school, and was offered the pisition. Now I am unsure if I should take it. At first I was very excited, but now doubt has started to creep in. The school is known for widespread behavior issues and no administrative support. The arra itself is a little frightening. My family has been trying to talk me out of in lieu of substitute teaching in better areas. I have accepted the offer, but am not board approved yet, so I have not signed a contract. I feel like it would be easy to get out of, but I'm not sure if I should. This could give me the experience needed to get into a better district. Additionally, I have an interview in another district, but with any interview, the job is not guaranteed. Advice?

3. Lindley_B

Lindley_B New Member

Jun 24, 2016

I apologize for the typos, I just found them! My phone keyboard is a wreck!

4. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jun 24, 2016

I'm right in the same area you are. Take the job if you can get it.

5. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jun 24, 2016

Definitely take the job and gain experience. If the school isn't for you, you can always apply to other schools again next year but then you will have a little experience under your belt! :)

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2016

You need some experience. Classroom teacher trumps subbing.

7. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jun 24, 2016

I would take it. I too live in a competitive area and had a difficult time getting a job. I took an inner city position that I wasn't thrilled about and after doing that for a couple years, I was able to get a job in a good district at a school that I love.

mckbearcat48 and czacza like this.
  8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2016

I student taught Inner city Title 1. I took back to back underpaid parochial school
    Positions for two years. Built my resume and the cperience. Then nearly doubled my salary after that when I moved to public.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 24, 2016

Unless you think you don't have what it takes to be successful, I would say to take the teaching job. Teaching experience counts as experience on the pay scale and subbing usually will not. Like Cza and many others on this board, I've been on numerous hiring committees. It would be a no brainer to choose a teacher who was successful in a tough school over someone who successfully subbed in the burbs.

Some of my best teaching years have taken place in neighborhoods you couldn't pay me to drive thru after dark.

10. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 24, 2016

Take the job. I barely got interviews when I was new. Even one year after a very difficult job, I got enough interviews to land in a great school. Four years later I am job hunting again and having an even easier time getting interviews. They want experience.

11. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Jun 24, 2016

You can say that again and again. :)

12. Mr.Literature

Mr.Literature Companion

Jun 24, 2016

My interview for the first job I had as a teacher was basically my principal saying, "This is not an easy position. These are not easy kids. This is honestly one of the worst positions you could get." I kid you not. And others have reiterated the same thing. The school really was the worst. Admin did not have your back, teachers were miserable, and students were equally miserable so they lashed out on each other and on the teachers. Towards the end of the school year we would get emails saying the students were starting to get violent simply because it was that time of year. I had a student tell me he didn't need school because he could go and sell his body. He was "kidding". But this was the mentality of a lot of my students. I had students who were verbally abusive toward me. Something that even as a student, I had never experienced before. I had students break the rewards I would get them, right in my face. I had students call me cheap because I would get them fruit snacks that weren't brand name. There was little appreciation. My blood pressure became ridiculously high. I have white hairs like I never did before and I'm 24. And getting out of bed, to drive an hour to work every day became a chore.

Now that all of the bad is out of the way...

As soon as the year was over, I interviewed for another title 1 school that was much closer to home. I love the demographics. I love my students. And the job interview was easy. It was basically a "Oh, you survived there without quitting? You can make it here easy." That's not saying that all the other things I brought to the table didn't matter, but it definitely showed my commitment to my profession. To this day, I would never change my experience. Working at that school has made me an infinitely better teacher. It has taught me to appreciate the students I have now. It has honestly made me roll my eyes at the teachers who complain about or school. We have admin who truly LOVE and want the best for our students. I know how bad things could be. I know how to handle students. I know to be patient. The biggest issue at the last school was having classroom management. Unfortunately it wasn't about the academics. But because I know how to handle my students now, I can spend the right amount of time on academics and things that matter. I wouldn't trade teaching at a Title 1 school for anything. These kids need love, compassion, and someone willing to work with them. And I have to say, it's incredibly rewarding. It's also nice not having helicopter parents who think they know better than you or who think their money can buy the school.
    I would take the job. In my opinion it will either confirm you are right for the job, or it will make you realize that teaching isn't for you. Which is why you need to be careful. Many teachers at the first school I taught ended up leaving teaching. Stick through the first year. Because I will not be the only one to admit that the first year is the worst but the second year is infinitely better!

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2016

As a parent, I understand that yours are worried for your safety, but I will go with everyone else and say take the hard job and get the experience. Subbing will only get you so far. Putting yourself out there, taking the risk, knowing failure is a possibility, well, that is dedication and character.

Take the job - sink or swim, it will teach you plenty.

14. Srhhwtt

Srhhwtt Rookie

Jun 25, 2016

I would definitely take the job. You never really know how bad it is until you do it and you may end up loving it there. If not, it's an experience that will build your teaching skills and help you find another opportunity.

15. JeniD

JeniD Rookie

Jun 28, 2016

If you wait around hoping for the perfect spot.... you might just wait forever. Will it be challenging, sure.... but your first year in a classroom always is. Take the job, gain insight and experience in a challenging area, love the kids, and reflect/reevaluate after a year. You may just fall in love with it and laugh about how you were questioning your decision. Worst case scenario, you've got a year of experience under your belt as you look for another school/district.

16. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 28, 2016

I'm going to agree with others that it's worth a try. However, I also believe in listening to your gut instincts. If you think you're going to be miserable, it may not be worth it.

However... you do say that admin has a reputation for providing no support. If that means you just get left in your classroom to do your own thing, I'd actually view that as better than having a terrible admin that watches closely looking for flaws and tells you everything you're doing is wrong. Being left on your own is sometimes a good thing. It would allow you do develop some very good classroom management skills.

vickilyn likes this.