Breaking a newly signed teaching contract

Discussion in 'General Education' started by anafoefana, Jun 29, 2010.

1. anafoefana

anafoefana New Member

Jun 29, 2010

I just finished my first year at a school in a neighboring county. I had an application in my county and got called for an interview at a school much closer to my house today. I just signed a contract for next year a week ago at my current school.
    I have heard all kinds of stories about what can happen if you break your contract and I am wondering if anyone has any advice? I live in N.VA. My new contract does not start until the end of August.
    I am going to interview tomorrow, and I believe they know I am currently employed in the other county because it is on my resume.
    I do not want to shoot myself in the foot because I am happy where I am now, but a move to my county would mean a significant pay raise and a shorter commute.
    Can anyone tell me if one can get out of a contract before the school year begins?
    Thanks in advance,

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 29, 2010

You need to read the contract. Mine says I have to give 60 days notice. Some say 30 days. So check and see what yours says, they really are all different and individual to the district.

4. anafoefana

anafoefana New Member

Jun 29, 2010

Thanks. My contract says 2 weeks, but it is up to them to release me and they it says they can withhold my license if they want to.
    I wonder how common that is given that it is summer and they would have plenty of time to fill the position.
    Thanks for your response.

5. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 29, 2010

I'm not sure about your district but around here if you resign during the summer they will generally let you go. Just make sure you read your contract and cite that you wish to be closer to home. Generally they do not go after your license unless you leave on bad terms. If you are part of an association or a union, contact their legal department. They can help you.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 30, 2010

My state has a cutoff date of July 10th to resign; but even after that, many districts will release you unless you are in a hard to fill area.

7. wrice

wrice Habitué

Jun 30, 2010

Be upfront, nice, honest about it. It may be no big deal.

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 30, 2010

If they ask you, tell them, if not, don't offer.

You'll probably find your Personal Policy Handbook on-line on your District's web page, or if you have a printed text, look there for specific guidelines.