Breaking a letter of intent

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by JerseyEnglish, Jun 5, 2007.

  1. JerseyEnglish

    JerseyEnglish Rookie

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    Messages:
    57
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jun 5, 2007

    Hi Everyone,

    I am a new teacher, and I was offered a position for a full year maternity leave. I signed a letter of intent and the actual contract will be presented to the Board of Education later this month. I now was offered another position with another district in middle school. This would be a full time position with the option to renew.

    I don't know what to do! I don't know anything about contracts and breaking them. I had interviewed with the 2nd school district before signing the letter of intent. Could I lose my teaching license? I think I may prefer the 2nd district because I have the option to have my contract renewed after the first year. The 1st district I would have to hope that there will be some retirements in the 2008 school year.

    Any advice you can give that would be excellent. I don't want to do the wrong thing and ruin my career before it begins.

    Thanks
    ~JerseyEnglish~
     
  2.  
  3. mincc

    mincc Companion

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2007
    Messages:
    239
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jun 5, 2007

    I do not know what the legal ramifications of breaking a letter of intent are. Does it have a specific time frame in which you must give notice?????? I am pretty sure most contracts here in NJ have the 60 day notice clause. I know that you NEVER should break a contract. The school has the right to sue, which will result in either suspension or stripping of your license, I do not know what happens, but I know it will have a terrible effect. I do know that a school may not necessarily sue, though, because of the time and money involved. I would never take that chance, because I signed and made that promise. I know of a teacher who did break a contract for a supervisor job, she only worked 1 day, and the school was livid. But they found a replacement right away and let her go with no further issues. From what she told me, she would have been in trouble if they had pursued it, but if there was some reason she had been deliberately and completely misled/lied to, she would have had a good case. She was not misled, though...she just decided she did not like being behind a desk, after one day. :)

    Maybe you can call Trenton and see what they say.

    Good luck. This state is a rough one for teaching jobs, so I can see your dilemma.
     
  4. Mable

    Mable Enthusiast

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2005
    Messages:
    2,409
    Likes Received:
    1

    Jun 5, 2007

    I think it's worth being honest and you haven't signed a contract. Even when we sign a contract, we have a window when we can break it. I say be honest, up front and act now before any contract is signed. It's your career and the other position is full-time with an opportunity to renew- it's much more important than a temp position.
     
  5. TXTeacher4

    TXTeacher4 Companion

    Joined:
    May 29, 2005
    Messages:
    231
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jun 5, 2007

    I think that they will understand that a better opportunity came up. It sounds like you were hired in place of a woman on leave. What happens when she comes back? If that would force you to find another job, then they should be understanding of your decision. Just be honest with both schools.
     
  6. JerseyEnglish

    JerseyEnglish Rookie

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    Messages:
    57
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jun 5, 2007

    Thank you all for replying so quickly. I am going to check with Trenton to see what would happen if I break my letter of intent. I would let the first school know by the beginning of next week giving them plenty of time to find a replacement, and more than 60 days notice.
     
  7. runsw/scissors

    runsw/scissors Phenom

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2006
    Messages:
    4,483
    Likes Received:
    96

    Jun 6, 2007

    At my school a letter of intent is not binding. It just says you plan on coming back at the time you signed but is not a guarantee. Have you let the administration that you signed but were still uncertain?
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. greendream,
  2. dr.gator,
  3. catnfiddle
Total: 673 (members: 4, guests: 650, robots: 19)
test