Breaking a Contract

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JerseyEnglish, Jul 24, 2009.

1. JerseyEnglish

JerseyEnglish Rookie

Jul 24, 2009

Hi Everyone,

This is a follow-up to a post that I made earlier in the week. Does anyone know if you can sign another teaching contract before breaking one? I live in NJ and I tried checking online to see. I would be breaking a contract at charter school so I do not have a Union to even check with. Not to mention the charter school did not even give me a signed copy of my contract. Any help you can provide would be helpful.

Thanks

3. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Jul 24, 2009

I would call your charter school and tell them your situation. It's only fair to allow them as much time as possible to find another teacher. Once your ties with them are cut, then I think it would be appropriate to sign a contract w/ someone else.

4. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

In the NJ public school I teach in I would have to give them 60 days notice if I were going to leave before the end of the contract. I don't know what your charter school's rules are.... You need to get a copy of your contract.

5. JerseyEnglish

JerseyEnglish Rookie

Jul 26, 2009

According to the contract I need to give them 60 days. My contract states that my employment does not begin until Sept. 1. My Union rep is calling me back tomorrow. I'll get all the information I need then. Thank you for your help.