Breaking a Contract

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JerseyEnglish, Jul 21, 2009.

1. JerseyEnglish

JerseyEnglish Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

Hi Everyone, :help:

I have a BIG question to ask. Does anyone have any experience with breaking a contract? I got hired at a Charter School and signed a contract that was not signed by the head of the school (she acts as the school's superintendent). I asked her assistant two weeks if I could have a copy of my contract and she told me the head of school still hadn't signed it. (So I still don't have a copy)

Anyway, I interviewed with another school and they offered me a better position with better pay. Plus it is my hometown whereas the other school is a hour commute for me.

How do I go about breaking this contract? I know I need to give 60 days notice, but do I tell the charter school have another job offer? How do you think the new school would handle that ( I did tell the principal I had another job offer)

HELP! I want to do everything right because I don't want to lose my teaching license.

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2009

I would not do ANYTHING to give up your old job until you have a signed contract with the second district, just in case something happens. As for the number of days, etc, someone from NJ would have to answer that. Different states have different regulations when it comes to revoking certificates and stuff like that.

4. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2009

Most places will have a stipulation like that. However, my best friend had to break a contract with one school to go to another. Simply go in, explain to them that you have been presented with an offer that will be more beneficial to your family (after all they come first), and that you can no longer honor the contract. I would think since it hasn't been signed and made official that it'd be better to do it quickly. Besides, in this job economy, they'll find someone to replace you and that's the main reason that they give you a 60 day warning period that you have to apply to. They could probably have 1/2 a dozen interviews set up in 60 minutes!

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 21, 2009

Most of the charter schools that I have interviewed for or worked for were -at will. Meaning even though we signed what most of us considered contracts, they were just letters of intent. We could quit or even be let go at any time for no reason.

6. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jul 21, 2009

I don't think you can lose your NJ license for breaking the contract before your official start date, but call the state Board of Ed if you are that concerned. I think that the only time your cert could be revoked for this sort of thing would be if you suddenly left a position and refused to honor the 60 days, during the school year. And I don't know if your cert would be revoked, or if it would be more of a possible lawsuit/blacklisted by principals sort of thing. Maybe someone else can help with actual facts on it, but I can assure you that you would not be the first person to do this.