Breaking a Contract Midyear in Arizona

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by yourmuchness, Sep 23, 2017.

1. yourmuchness

yourmuchness Rookie

Sep 23, 2017

Any teachers in Arizona know how much districts stick to the liquidated damages fine in contracts if you break the contract midyear? How do the damages work, are they just taken from your paycheck, how do they enforce the fee? And if it says you "may" be reported to the department of education, does that usually happen?

3. yourmuchness

yourmuchness Rookie

Sep 23, 2017

Any teachers in Arizona know how much districts stick to the liquidated damages fine in contracts if you break the contract midyear? How do the damages work, are they just taken from your paycheck, how do they enforce the fee? And if it says you "may" be reported to the department of education, does that usually happen?

4. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Sep 23, 2017

I did when my husband got a job in another state.
    At that point my district did not enforce any of the penalties that they could have. BUT I stayed long enough to have a smooth transition with my replacement, no subs in between.

The board did say something the next month, and I've heard they plan to be stricter in the future.

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 24, 2017

6. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Sep 24, 2017

I'm not from Arizona but I did work in a district that had a stipulation about leaving within a year after getting tuition reimbursement UNLESS it was leaving due to a spouse transfer. I did that (not married)and they never came after me (damages were to give the money back). I remember signing a promissory note, but they never followed through. Perhaps it was usually a non issue because it rarely if ever happened, who knows (most people stick with a district during and after working on an advanced degree).
    I honestly think if you have to move due to your spouse transferring, it's really nasty of a district to hold you to your contract or report you. There should be exceptions (medical or spousal or military).

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Sep 24, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  8. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 24, 2017

When I start looking for Superintendent gigs, I feel like this is the place to go. You fix this lunacy and they'll build a statue of you.

9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Sep 24, 2017

anon55 likes this.
  10. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 24, 2017

With that said, a contract is only good if you sign it. Has anyone ever given them a contract with different language on it? They can agree or not. If I was offered a job in Arizona, the first thing I would try to do is negotiate my salary and working conditions. If they are as desperate as it seems, I'd try to get bumped up the scale and get extra preps. All they can do is say no. If you are good and experienced, maybe they say yes.

11. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Sep 24, 2017

SageScience likes this.
  12. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 24, 2017

I wouldn't call it ultimate tenure. It only works that way in bad districts. Any good district can drum someone out with tenure if they feel like trying hard enough. All they need to do is find an instance of you breaking the contract or a district policy (which you agree to yearly) then they basically force you to resign. I only tell you that because like me you seem to have a unique personality haha. That wears thin around certain kinds of people. Unfortunately, those people always find their way to positions of leadership.

13. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2017

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  14. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 25, 2017

In this area they also interview 10-15 people at least for every job and non-renew people as part of budgeting. I can't prove it, but I genuinely believe schools actively keep a certain percentage of positions as non-tenure regardless of quality of teachers.

ESL is actually way more valuable than Spanish. Can you qualify for that too?

Even with all that, cross the wrong person and they will make you miserable until they make you gone. Trust me, union reps will tell you the same thing.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017