Breakfast smoothies

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 24, 2013

Last school year I usually had a quick bowl of oatmeal during my planning period, which was the first block of the day. This year, my planning will be right before lunch. I'm never hungry enough before leaving work for breakfast, but come 10:00, I'm starving. I want to try smoothies, thinking maybe something liquid will be easier to grab, go, and sip even though I'm not hungry.

How can I make a smoothie that will hold me over? I was thinking about those protein powders at GNC. Are those good to add to a shake, or are those packed with calories and designed for body builders? I was thinking about adding yogurt for protein, but I'm allergic to milk. :(

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2013

I've put oatmeal into my smoothies before to add a little extra something...

Too bad on the milk thing; Greek yogurt has made my smoothies so much more filling!

4. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Aug 24, 2013

Protein powder is NOT just for body builders. I have a protein shake most mornings. I use chocolate whey protein powder. One scoop is 15 grams of protein. I throw it in the blender with 6-8 ice cubes and enough sugar-free almond milk to reach the top of the cubes. Sometimes I add a little bit of peanut butter, too, and that gives it a great taste. This keeps me full til lunch and is in the range of 200 calories (with PB might be a bit more depending on how much).

5. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Aug 24, 2013

My husband is really into juicing which helps ensure you are getting your fruits and veggies for the day. Is that something that might interest you?

What about if you used almond or soy milk with a banana, strawberries, peanut butter, and ice? I have added chocolate protein powder to something like this, and it was really good.

When making shakes you do need to be careful you don't rack up the calories too quickly so pay attention to what you are doing.

The protein powders you need to be careful with because we found a couple where we didn't like the taste or the texture. Try to get small sample packs instead of buying big containers at first.

I went through a period of time where I could stand the thought of eating anything in the morning except for cashews. They are now my go to choice if I oversleep because they are easy to eat in the car.

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2013

Do you have a fridge? Can you make the smoothie and bring it with you and when you start to feel hungry take a few sips? Since it'll be drinking it won't be distracting for the kids.

7. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Aug 24, 2013

I do half veggies, half fruit and almond milk. Sometimes I add protein powder, but not every time. I bought a nutri bullet for mine, I love it.

8. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 25, 2013

I just made one that was a banana, tablespoon of peanut butter, and a cup of almond milk. It held me until lunch.

9. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Aug 30, 2013

frozen bananas instesd of ice is good
    also sprinkle cinnamon yum
    experiment with flavors!

10. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2013

I always use fruit, OJ, yogurt, and add spinach, nuts, peanut butter,