Breakfast in the Classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by SunShinePumper, Aug 6, 2007.

1. SunShinePumper

SunShinePumper Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

Does anyone else do this? I had this with my fifth graders last year and it was always a hassle. They would only give us half chocolate milk and half white. Someone would always end up dribbling milk across the floor. The trash bags leaked. I'm in a modular so I have no sink nearby. It was chaos to start every school day. Does anyone have any good ideas for breakfast procedures?

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2007

I subbed in an elementary school that had breakfast in the classroom. They had sinks so there was a colander in each sink for the milk to be poured into. That wouldn't work for you but I think I would put a rubbermaid type container somewhere for the milk to go and then take it to the cafe. at lunch. Some classrooms had paper placemats and students could only sit at a particular table for breakfast. That's a problem if everyone has breakfast though. Placemats can be purchased at restaurant supply stores. How about if every kid brought a plastic placemat cleaned it up after breakfast?

4. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 6, 2007

We have to eat lunch in our classrooms, and one of my colleagues had her students make their own placemats. they drew whatever they wanted to on a large piece of paper, and then she laminated them. When they were done eating, they were responsible for cleaning their placemat off. This was 2nd grade.

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 6, 2007

We have lunch in our classrooms. I have a person whose job it is to pass out milk to everyone. Also, I have some small plastic containers with sponges in them for each table group. They wet the sponges, and then put those on the tables. Eveyone has to clean up their area thoroughly. Since you don't have a sink, maybe get some chlorox wipes or something. I also use paper towels and all purpose cleaner.

I have the kids make a mug at the beginning of the year. They are plastic and you can decorate them. Someone gave me a set, and I wash them in a dishwasher (we have an attached kitchen so you couldn't do this-- but) having cups for each kid is a great thing. They can put snacks in them, or drinks. If you had paper cups, and a milk pourer, then maybe so much milk would not get wasted. If they only drink half the carton, then dump it, that is a problem.

If you "shared the wealth" of chocolate and plain, maybe the waste would be preventable. Use the little dixie cups, and when they finish, the milk pourer for the group pours more. They should not take more than they can drink. Save the rest of the milk for the next day (I am assuming the cafeteria will take care of this) or talk to a local food bank about donating the extras. Our school does that.

Give the kids responsiblity for the clean up and care of breakfast. It may make them take better care of other things during the day as well.

I looked online for the mugs and they are HARD to find....

here is a link for anyone interested in this:
    http://www.paper-paper.com/plastic.html#cup

6. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 6, 2007

I serve breakfast in the room.

Limit syrup to 1 container per 2 kids on syrup days.
    You may be able to have the cafe staff give you a better allotment of choc vs. white milk if you just ask. If not, maybe you can assign the kids to a group and each day one group gets the chocolate milks.
    Assign jobs (someone to wipe up spills, someone to take out trash, etc.)
    Maybe use a rubbermaid container or a laundry basket to hold the trash bag so the bag will leak into that, not the floor.