Breakfast in the Classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by texteacher, Mar 9, 2010.

1. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Mar 9, 2010

So we started serving breakfast in our classrooms recently and I can't help but to be annoyed with what they are feeding my students. Today students were given milk, orange juice, animal crackers and a pop tart! Unbelievable. Why would you give a child that much food? Lots of teachers counted all the calories and the grams of sugar and it was outrageous. I can't understand why we're giving kids this kind of food. To top it off, almost all of my kids threw away the milk. What a waste.

Is anybody else experiencing this kind of nonsense?

3. Toak

Toak Cohort

Mar 9, 2010

That barely seems like anything if its the child's only breakfast, though you could certainly come up with far healthier options for the same price

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2010

I get the whole serving it, but I don't agree with what they are serving. They could certainly find better food to start the students off right with.

5. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Mar 9, 2010

Yeah it was more the quality of the food versus the quantity that gets to me though most kids threw away a large portion of it. I don't know how animal crackers and pop tarts could possibly be deemed healthy.

6. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Mar 9, 2010

AND about half my kids had already eaten breakfast at home and now they are getting a double dose.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2010

why do't they just serve it to kids who need it? Have it available in the cafeteria for those who don't eat in the morning. I also agree that what they are serving does not sound very healthy.

8. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Mar 9, 2010

We used to serve it in the cafeteria for free to any student who needed it but the superintendent didn't think that was good enough. Now every child must be served, hungry or not.

9. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Mar 9, 2010

What a load of sugar for little kids first thing in the morning! Gee, what about some applesauce, a banana, or something a little healthier?

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 9, 2010

Wow...I'm just stuck on the fact that they're serving breakfast in the CLASSROOM?

I would not appreciate having meals served in my classroom!

11. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Mar 9, 2010

Yeah, I'm not too enthralled when trash bags burst open with leftover milk onto my floor and I lose instruction time because of the later start.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 9, 2010

TexTeacher,

Do you teach in a high poverty area? I teach in a very low income area here in town, so free breakfast and lunch are a necessity. In most cases, those are the only two meals that the kiddos get, which breaks my heart!!!

Anyway, I hope they improve the menu! I could see if they served a pop tart with milk...but when they add juice and cookies--that's just crazy!

13. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Mar 9, 2010

It is a low income area but many of my kids already ate breakfast at home. My issue is more that we already did serve breakfast at school in the cafeteria! Kids who didn't get breakfast at home, ate at school and others ate at home. I don't understand feeding kids when they have already been fed. And then we're feeding them pure sugar too. If we're going to feed these kids, give them something healthy that will be good for their brains.

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 9, 2010

I had a summer food service program at my agency one year. The local school district ran it. One day they send chocolate muffins and chocolate cereal. I met with the food service person, and the meals got much better.

15. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 9, 2010

We tried doing this, but it didn't work. It made our rooms smell so breakfast is back in the cafeteria. Yes, the food is disgusting!

16. MrsCase

MrsCase Rookie

Mar 10, 2010

We have this same thing at our school, fre school-wide breakfast program. the kids pick up the food items from a cart and bring them into the classroom to eat at their desks. Same thing... sugary carbs most days with a milk and a juice. Every once in a while its a Gogurt or a banana along with some carbs. But usually its something like a honey bun, pop-tart, and something that resembles white chocolate covered graham cracker clusters. Great. Occasionally they come in with a chocolate covered donut the size of their heads!! I understand the idea but sometimes I wonder if this type of breakfast is just as bad as no breakfast at all. Everyone's being set up for the 10:30 crash!

17. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Mar 10, 2010

Why not oatmeal bars? Fruit?

My district does the same thing. It bothers me that the kids eat breakfast at the desks where they do business and learn. It sends a mixed message, imo. Classrooms are for lessons and learning, cafeterias are for breakfast and lunch.

18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 10, 2010

When I got to school this morning, I took a look at the breakfast menu for the month. It sounds like most of our schools are serving the same things for breakfast: Honey Buns, chocolate Pop Tarts, high sugar cereals AND juices (apple, orange, and grape).

I'd have an upset stomach if I ate a chocolate Pop Tart and washed it down with grape juice! YUCK..not to mention UNHEALTHY!

19. Harper

Harper Companion

Mar 10, 2010

Oh my goodness to the food choices! My child has free breakfast - standard for the district - all offered, kids choose whether or not they eat it, but ours is so much healthier. Depending on the day, whole grain cereal,whole grain bagel or muffins, pumpkin bread, apple sauce or small oranges, and milk or fruit juice. It is not perfect ( I wish there was more protein), but certainly not a pop tart. So sad that we spend so much money to feed kids junk. :(

20. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 10, 2010

I get so annoyed at our cafeteria. I don't know much about breakfast, but you would think that food service people would know a thing or two about putting together healthy meals. Here's a tip: if EVERY SINGLE ITEM on a lunch tray is white or yellow-THAT'S TOO MANY CARBS! Where is a little green? And I'm sorry, but lettuce does not count. They put out a bowl of shredded lettuce outside the food service line, and it is "optional". Yeah, a lot of elementary students are going to voluntarily take lettuce.

Here was the menu on Monday (this is for lunch, sorry to hijack the breakfast):

Breaded frozen chicken nuggets
    Mashed potatoes with white gravy
    Dinner roll
    Corn
    Peaches in heavy syrup
    White or chocolate milk

Now picture that on a tray. All whitish/yellowish (except for the chocolate in the milk). Carb city! Argh! (I really notice this now that I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes). Not a lick of green (or healthy) food to be found.

21. FCLaura

FCLaura Rookie

Mar 10, 2010

That sounds like a set-up for your school's childhood obesity rates to go way up. If you're feeding kids who have already been fed tasty sugary things, most of them are going to eat them whether or not they are hungry. It also doesn't help to give the kids who need breakfast lousy food.

22. MarieClarie

MarieClarie Rookie

Mar 11, 2010

I was feeling the same was Toak, it doesn't seem like a lot of food if that is the only think they are given for breakfast, but it certainly contains too much sugar and is not balanced at all! That seems to be the real concern!

Marie
    www.afterschoolclubideas.com

23. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Mar 11, 2010

My students eat bfast and lunch in my classroom. I eat with them. We go down to another room, go through the lunch line, then back to the classroom. Our k-8 students do this at our school...

24. Harper

Harper Companion

Mar 11, 2010

I forgot to mention - they also eat breakfast in the classroom. The cafeteria cannot house them all and it would be a logistical nightmare to do breakfast and lunch for whole school in that space. Not great, but better than no breakfast at all. Teacher uses it as an opportunity to talk about healthy food choices, what each thing is (carbs, sugar, dairy, etc.). Not perfect, but workable. I wish the school I worked at did this! Instead, my students stop by the convenience store or Starbucks while walking to school.

25. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 11, 2010

This post made me look at my own district's breakfast menu (the kids eat the lunch room so I don't see what they have). Here is the menu for tomorrow:

Strawberry Pop-Tart
    Animal Crackers
    Apple Slices
    Milk Choice

Sound familiar?!

26. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Mar 11, 2010

Sounds like a major waste of money. We have breakfast as an option, but it's NOT required. About half my class gets it...

27. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 11, 2010

Good thing Mrs. Obama is trying to fix this issue!

My students are trying to get me to eat the packaged school breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Good thing they know I'm a vegetarian. You couldn't pay me to eat that stuff!

28. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 13, 2010

Pop Tarts are not food.

29. alilac

alilac Rookie

Mar 13, 2010

This is ridiculous and an abuse of taxpayer's dollars.

30. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2010

In California there are fairly new rules about the amount of sugar in items a school can provide so I dont think those foods would fly here but I haven't seen breakfasts at elementary school in awhile. At the high school gatorade now comes in little bottles because the big ones have too much sugar. The big football players look ridiculous drinking itty bitty bottles - which of course they drink more of at a higher price, using more plastic.

31. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 13, 2010

This is just crazy! Aren't we concerned about obesity?? So we feed them pop tarts and chocolate milk and cookies, and cut recess and P.E.??

They will pass those tests, but die at a young age. Very strange.

How about dry whole grain cereal in a baggie with a milk to drink? Or a cheese stick, sliced apple or and a milk? It is frightening to me that this is going on across the country. I don't like the food program at my school either - waaaaaaaaay too much fat, carbs, and desserts. The protein is iffy.

32. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Mar 14, 2010

Understanding

First off, I have children eat all theire meals in my classroom. I also think it is wonderful to have it available to all children. Why would we not want that???

I do understand issue with the choices. If this is one of the only meals the children get, it needs to be healthy.

33. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 15, 2010

I think the issue here is not offering them breakfast but more that the kids HAVE to eat in the classroom. If they are already offered the meals in the cafeteria, why go through all the extra lost instructional time, clean up, etc. to have them eat in the classroom. Our kids eat a free breakfast until 7:45 and then come to class. With this policy they will come to class at 7:45 then have to take at least another 30 minutes to eat and teachers have to clean up without the facilities to do so. We're supposed to be "creative" in our teaching for that time.

Ours is going to start the first day of TAKS testing. That shouldn't be confusing at all :dizzy:.

34. ILoveMyCello

ILoveMyCello Companion

Mar 24, 2010

Three days for breakfast last week the kids had pancakes, with THREE MAPLE SYRUPS per 2 pancakes...

Three days for lunch THIS WEEK, the "carb" will be french fries. One week, the kids had fries with their meal all 5 days.

35. CiniMini

CiniMini Rookie

Mar 24, 2010

He he he Here are the standard breakfast items that our kids have to choose from at our school. (Which is served in the cafeteria thank goodness)

(not all of these are served everyday)
    Biscuits
    Sausage or Bacon
    Sausage gravy
    Scrambled eggs
    Pancakes
    "Fruit" is a small juice box--never fresh fruit
    Cereal

No wonder I have to do morning exercises to wake up my kids.

36. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Mar 24, 2010

I think having meals available to children that NEED them is a wonderful thing. But to have breakfast for every single child, regardless of need, is a HUGE waste of money. With budgets being cut, and teachers losing their jobs left and right, that's one reason I can think of why I would not want that at my school.