Breakfast in rooms.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by txmomteacher2, May 2, 2014.

1. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 2, 2014

I am sure that this has been discussed here before but I want some opinions on breakfast in your classrooms. Starting on Monday our school is the pilot for a district wide breakfast in your classroom program. I want all opinions. We had a brief meeting yesterday and basically we have no choice and I don't see us having a choice for next year either. Let me know how you feel!

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 2, 2014

We have breakfast in our rooms. I like it. You could show a video clip like Kid President's little speeches and such while they are eating... or other educational videos.

It is a good idea to serve breakfast. Some may not get anything to eat until they get to school.

4. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

May 2, 2014

We have free breakfast for students in the classroom every day (our school is also 100% free lunches, we're in a low-income area). The district provides a lot of junk food like Pop-Tarts, sugary cereal, and muffins, with healthy sides like applesauce, cheese sticks, and fruit. The kids usually take the junk food and leave the other sides behind.

We do breakfast before the official school day begins, from 7:45-8:00 AM. The kids throw it away or keep a snack for later (we also do a 5 minute snack at 10:00 AM) and we have 2 breakfast helpers clean up/throw away the garbage/count everyone who ate.

I don't mind it, and the kids like it. The biggest annoyances are cereal clogging the sink when kids pour out the milk (most teachers use a strainer to catch cereal pieces) and the hand wipes that come with breakfast. They give us WAY too many hand wipes each time, and kids try to hoard them in their desks/squirt each other with the liquid inside. LOL

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 2, 2014

We serve breakfast in the cafeteria from 7:15-7:40. School begins at 7:40. When a student arrives late (provided they arrive before 9:00), we send them to the cafeteria to grab a bite. Many of our kids only get two good meals a day (breakfast and lunch). Breakfast is free to all students regardless of parent income level (although, at my particular site, we've got a 98% free/reduced lunch rate).

Anyway, to answer the original question: NO--students never eat in their classrooms unless the teacher is providing a snack as a reward or if a parent brings a (store-bought) treat for a kid's birthday.

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 2, 2014

We have breakfast in our rooms once a week with our homeroom classes, and I love it. It's a nice little family feel. Everybody eases in to the day, and I get a chance to chat casually with the kids about what's happening in their lives.

7. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 2, 2014

The school breakfasts I've seen are junk. Cinnamon rolls, pastries, sugary cereal, and other things full of sugar. I would prefer students were given fruit and oatmeal or toast. I guess some food is better than none but it seems senseless to give kids such unhealthy meals, especially with such a national push for healthy kids.

8. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 2, 2014

My district offers kids free breakfast. We have it every morning in the rooms. The kids do their morning work while they eat breakfast so it doesn't take time away from academics. Our breakfasts are not junk food. They are given a different breakfast each morning that consists of things like lowfat milk, cereal (not the sugary kind), yogurt, and fruit.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 2, 2014

At first I was against it-but now we're pretty used to it. Just make sure you tell your kids not to save any food in their desks! ;)

10. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

May 2, 2014

It's fine until you have a milk spill all over the place first thing in the morning while you're trying to do lunch count, check take home folders, do attendance, etc. etc. etc...

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 2, 2014

We started breakfast in the classroom this year. At first, I was one of the "yay, this won't be so bad, and the kids are getting fed!" cheerleaders. Now...well. I basically view it as a necessary evil. I love that the kids are being fed daily (MANY of them were not eating breakfast before). I did notice a change in their focus right away.

However....I wish there was an option that did not involve bringing the food into my room. It's a mess. Milk spills AT LEAST 3 times a week. Some weeks, it's every day. (And often the same kid...) The smells, and the mess...ugh. Sometimes I feel like there aren't enough wipes in the world (actually, there aren't enough at my school, and I refuse to buy them). Also, I feel like we start the day on a kind of weird, semi-disorganized note.I would much rather come in and start calendar/morning meeting or morning work or whatever else. The kids all finish eating at different times...I don't know, it just feels like there is a lot of wasted time involved.

I wish that this was how we served breakfast. Our cafeteria is not big enough to accommodate all of our 800 students at the same time, so we are stuck eating in the classrooms.

THIS. Just...THIS. Exactly. I don't understand how my kids (mostly one or two of them...) manage to spill milk (and pieces of cereal, and apple slices, and whatever else) SO. MUCH.

12. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

May 2, 2014

We have had breakfast served in our rooms for years.

I don't clean up the messes the children make, they do. When someone spills milk, juice, or (ugh) their fruit cup, I hand them a roll of paper towels and the garbage can.It's amazing how neatly they learn to eat when they have to clean up any spills or messes.

As for what to do about children who finish at different times,some activities that have worked well are:
    1) Read silently(they all have book bags in their desks)
    2) Practice math facts with their fact cards(we use Saxon Math, so everyone has their own set)
    3) Write an answer to a journal prompt or morning message.

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

May 3, 2014

I remember other people talking about success with breakfast in their rooms on here, all I can say is I'm glad it isn't me. Our kids have breakfast in the cafeteria before school if they want to come. We have a hard enough time keeping mice and bugs out of the classroom as it is. (In an inner city school its somewhat unavoidable- yuck.)

14. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

May 6, 2014

My entire school district has breakfast in the classroom every single day and it's a major district in Texas. It's fine, just make sure the kids know how eat neatly. All the trash from breakfast is put outside the classroom doors and the custodians come pick it up. Most of the kids are tired from just waking up so we barely have any spills. It fine to me!

15. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 6, 2014

Well two days in and so far so good. It really hasn't changed things too much. Not as bad as I thought.

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 6, 2014

My district offers breakfast, but they can't take it back to the classrooms. They serve breakfast 8:20-8:40, and school starts at 8:45. We have carpeting throughout the school, so spilled milk and juice in the classrooms would be a disaster.

17. TeacherBug08

TeacherBug08 Companion

May 6, 2014

We have breakfast in the room and I love it!!

18. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

May 7, 2014

We had breakfast in our rooms, and the only thing that I minded was....syrup. Yep, nothing like liquid sugar all over the tables. And when the kids would try to clean it up with a wipe, they ended up just glazing the entire table evenly. Sticky, nasty, gross.