Breakfast ideas?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by stargirl, Dec 20, 2021.

1. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Dec 20, 2021

Any suggestions for easy/appetizing breakfast ideas?
    I'm really not a morning person so I don't usually bother much with it (usually have coffee and a cookie), but I know it's an important meal of the day. Also I want to use my break to cut down on my caffeine intake, so I need to replace my morning coffee with something else.
    If anyone has any good ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2021

I used to make a quiche a month when I was working. If you buy the crust, the rest is easy. It freezes and microwaves good.
    Also, sometimes I'd make breakfast burritos with scrambled eggs and potato. The cooked egg lasts for days.

stargirl likes this.
  4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 20, 2021

I love quiche. I don't even bother with a crust.

stargirl likes this.
  5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 20, 2021

duplicate

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 20, 2021

duplicate

7. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Dec 20, 2021

I love easy recipes with as few steps as possible:)
    Do you have a recipe?

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 20, 2021

I don't use a recipe. I just chop up whatever veggies I have on hand and mix them in an egg mixture (eggs, a few splashes of milk or whatever you have like half and half, a teaspoon of flour, and cheese). Then put in a pie plate or casserole dish and bake until not jiggly!

9. greendream

greendream Cohort

Dec 20, 2021

I love burritos, so my wife will make a big pot of ground beef, black beans, cheese, and taco seasoning and make 4-5 burritos at the same time. She will add some tomatoes, taco sauce, jalapenos, sour cream. Lots of protein and very filling!

Tired Teacher and stargirl like this.
  10. greendream

greendream Cohort

Dec 20, 2021

I use Folgers Black Silk Decaf. I switched to decaf this summer by mixing decaf with regular coffee, but tipping the percentage each week. So:

Week 1 90% regular/10% decaf
    Week 2 75% regular/25% decaf
    Week 3 50% regular/50% decaf
    Week 4: 25% regular/75% decaf
    Week 5: 10% regular/90% decaf
    Week 6: 100% decaf

My favorite thing about being on decaf is that although I enjoy the ritual of having coffee, I can just as easily have ice water in the morning and I don't get a "caffeine reminder" (aka, headache). I can have a cup of coffee at 10PM sleep like a rock and I wake up feeling amazing.

11. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Dec 20, 2021

I'm going to try this tomorrow! I have all the ingredients and it sounds easy enough:)

12. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Dec 20, 2021

That sounds like a good plan...I know when I try quitting cold, it never sticks:(

greendream likes this.
  13. whizkid

whizkid Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2021

Grits, sausage, waffles, pop tarts, orange juice, biscuits, go big or go home.

14. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Dec 20, 2021

Lol I don't think I'd be able to move after a meal like that:p
    I guess I should say, I don't have the biggest appetite. I'm probably someone who'd do well eating the 5 small meals a day kind of plan. It just doesn’t work with my schedule

whizkid likes this.
  15. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Dec 20, 2021

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/241251/creamy-ham-and-cheese-quiche/
    You can add veggies like red pepper, mushrooms, spinach if you want. I used to slice it, put it in freezer bags, and freeze it.
    Then if I wanted a piece, I'd just take it out and nuke it for 1 minute. It was easy.
    Also, with the breakfast burritos, I'd cook 3 days worth at a time. The egg mixture cooked ( with veggies or any meats) stays good. Then you just nuke the eggs maybe 40 seconds and wrap it in a tortilla daily.
    1 other I used to make that was good was steel cut oats. You can make a lot of it at 1x, add nuts, berries, or whatever you like in oatmeal. It stays good all week. All you have to do is zap some in the morning.
    Also, I have a healthier 1 now that is easy. I buy high protein/ low sugar Kashi cereal. Then mix it with yogurt instead of milk. My body feels really good after this breakfast. The protein stays with you a long time.
    I seldom want to eat breakfast, so I had to make quick and easy stuff to force myself to do it!

stargirl likes this.
  16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 20, 2021

I like egg muffins. They’re quick, heat up well, and have lots of options. Basically put eggs & whatever else you want into muffin tin, bake until firm, and put them in the fridge. I’ve used whole eggs or just egg whites. My favorite combinations are mushroom & cheese and tomato, onion, and spinach. DH likes plant-based chorizo crumbles or bacon pieces.

DH also likes oatmeal muffins. They’re bananas, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, milk, eggs, and oatmeal. He will make two dozen at a time and stick them in the fridge.

stargirl likes this.
  17. happymangle

happymangle Rookie

Jan 25, 2022

Toasted bagel with Philadelphia cheese and smoked salmon. After my lovely breakfast i take CanadaDrugs vitamins for the immune system and i am full of energy to start a new working day. I honestly don't understand people who ignore breakfast as for me it is the most important meal of the day.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
  18. Chocolaccino

Chocolaccino Rookie

Jan 25, 2022

I used to wake up for school at 6:15am but my lunch break wasn't until 12:20pm. So I had to find something quick and filling I could eat to sustain me for those 6 hours.
    - Muffins are easy to make on the weekend and conducive to "grab n go". Cut up some cheese for healthy fat and protein
    - Homemade McMuffins are filling and cheaper than stopping at the drive-thru. Grocery stores have sausage rounds (or make your own), then add a slice of cheese and put it on an English muffin. Can sub with ham, add egg, sub with a bagel or tortilla, etc.
    - A smoothie with protein powder is something to sip on throughout the morning. Yogurt, milk, and frozen berries are cheap and tasty. The protein powder makes it filling so you aren't hungry right away.
    - Instant oatmeal with protein powder is both tasty and filling
    - Banana burritos are cheap, tasty, and easy to make. Spread peanut butter or Nutella on a tortilla and put a banana on it, then roll it up

19. happymangle

happymangle Rookie

Jul 3, 2022

Cottage cheese + mixed nuts and dried fruits + banana = healthy breakfast + keeps me full until lunch

Tired Teacher and stargirl like this.
  20. Kerrberr

Kerrberr Rookie

Jul 3, 2022

I didn't have breakfast for years, I just didn't feel like eating. Later, I noticed that I feel sick if I don't eat for two hours after waking up. having surfed the Internet, I found an article https://betterme.world/articles/what-to-eat-when-you-dont-feel-like-eating/ that provided me with the possible reasons for my problem and with the best products I can eat when I'm not hungry but need to eat. So, usually, I have smoothies, bananas, or hard-boiled eggs for breakfast.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
    stargirl likes this.
  21. Tutulson

Tutulson Rookie

Jul 3, 2022

Oatmeal is a classic breakfast option and I love it.

stargirl likes this.
  22. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Jul 3, 2022

I've started eating a bowl of Cream of Wheat (I buy the instant packets and just add hot water) mixed with some applesauce (I like the strawberry applesauce flavor best). It gives me energy to get going, isn't too heavy, and is a good way to add hydration into my diet. Early in the morning, I don't like strong or overly heavy or sweet flavors, so this works for me. I like reading the other suggestions, though, now that I'm on summer break I don't mind indulging in a brunch type of meal.

Tired Teacher likes this.