Breakfast Ideas

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by LMichele, Aug 4, 2014.

1. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 4, 2014

I'm looking to cut down on carbs & sugar during breakfast.

This year I did OK, going from toast and muffins to Greek yogurt, but the yogurt often has a lot of sugar.

Any ideas? I was thinking of eggs but I eat breakfast at work a lot so I usually grab something from home and eat it as soon as I get in.

Thanks!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2014

Hard boiled eggs
    Nutribullet shakes
    Mini egg stratas baked in muffin cups
    Grapefruit sections in single serve packs
    A handful of nuts

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 4, 2014

I'm at work right now and just ate a slice of crustless quiche. I just put it in a container and throw it in my bag. It is fine warm or cold. Protein shakes or smoothies are good too but if you use the protein powders you have to make sure they don't contain too much sugar or carbs since all of them are different.

5. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 4, 2014

I've never heard of crustless quiche. That sounds really good and I'll have to look it up on pintrest.
    There's a blog I love called, "The World According to Eggface". She gives lots of low calorie, low sugar ideas for breakfast (and lunch/dinner).

One of my favorite Eggface ideas is to make a pot of oatmeal, then pour it into a muffin tin with all the fixings you like (brown sugar, blue berries, etc). Then you freeze the tin and pop out the frozen oatmeal and put into baggies. That way, each morning you can grab a baggie of oatmeal and go. I want to try that this school year. :thumb:

Other things I eat for breakfast:

1. Morningstar vegan sausages

2. Smoothies (i use veggies, fruit and a half cup of plain, greek yogurt.)

3. Belvita bisquits with a cup of coffee or tea

4. Fiber One Honeynut clusters with skim milk. The sugar's not too bad and the fiber keeps me full.

Don't forget to take a multivitamin, some b-12 and to drink lots of fluid! Thirst likes to mimic hunger pangs.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 4, 2014

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2014

My go-to breakfast (almost every morning) is plain Greek yogurt with fruit, chia and flax seeds, and sliced almonds. I like to make several days worth at a time, in little mason jars.

Scrambled egg whites with chives and a bit of cheese.

Overnight oatmeal.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 4, 2014

You just make it with any quiche recipe except do not use a crust. I just put it in a glass pie plate. I posted an easy recipe in the What's for Dinner thread.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 4, 2014

OP, f you want a protein bar without a lot of carbs and sugar I suggest Quest bars. Many bars like Luna, Fiber One, etc. have tons of processed ingredients that it sounds like you're trying to avoid.

10. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2014

Yes, I was going to suggest switching to plain Greek yogurt...it eliminates a lot of the added sugar. You can always add a few drops of honey or agave nectar or something to give a little sweetness.

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 4, 2014

Smoothies are my go-to. I freeze fresh fruit and then just add milk.

12. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 4, 2014

Things I bring to work...snack and/or breakfast:

fruit salad (strawberries, blueberries, rasberries)
    100 calorie greek yogurt (I like vanilla) w/berries
    apples w/peanut butter & nuts
    hard boiled eggs/deviled eggs
    string cheese, carrots & dip
    mini bagel w/low fat cream cheese
    strawberry smoothie

*if you have a microwave; mini quiches, ham & cheese omelet, breakfast sausage links :)

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 4, 2014

I add fresh fruit or even thawed frozen fruit. Be careful with honey and agave since even though they are "natural" they are still high in sugar. I use stevia extract which is a calorie free sugar substitute derived from a plant.

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 4, 2014

One of my my favorite ways of eating yoghurt:
    - plain Greek yoghurt (no, or very little sugar)
    - almonds (or other nuts, walnuts are probably better)
    - flax seed, chia seed
    - honey or other natural sweetener, like Agave syrup (just drizzle it over, less than 1 ts is enough)

Mix up and eat. Lots of protein, almost no carbs, low, natural sugars, yummy and very filling. And packed with nutrients.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 4, 2014

Greek yogurt with a banana (quick and easy)!

Sometimes, I'll make oatmeal (if I'm not rushing).

I make certain to eat breakfast 7 days/week. Can't function without it!

16. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2014

They are, but you only need a very little bit, especially compared to what they put into the flavored varieties!

(I looked it up--one tsp. of honey has 22 calories. I definitely don't use more than that.)

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2014

We do this or sometimes I throw it in the little blender (1 serving size)with some honey & blueberries...or whatever fruit I have...

We buy granola cereal and sometimes drink part of smoothie & throw some granola in to finish it!!!

I also make banana bread... cut down on butter by using applesauce or sometimes throw extra banana in.... Making my own know what's in it....

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 4, 2014

I'm not a breakfast person & don't eat it most days...I know, bad habit. I'd alternate:

- oatmeal w/ flax seed
    - yolkless eggs
    - various fruit
    - granola & yogurt
    - breakfast smoothie
    - (nitrate-free) turkey bacon at times w/ fruit
    - veggie omlette (& don't use the yolks)
    - crepes at times

19. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2014

MrsC... I've wanted to try overnight oatmeal especially un winter...do you have a recipe you like????

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2014

I think I have a few pinned on Pinterest--let me see if I can find them. I know I have tried one hot (in the crockpot) and lots of cold, from the refrigerator.

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2014

I think it would be neat in crockpot...read about the...just have to do it...

Oh my banana bread is recipe w/out buttermilk...LOL!! I thought you had to have buttermilk to make banana bread!!!

22. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Aug 4, 2014

Here is a recipe I like for overnight oatmeal. She uses steelcut oats, which I use sometimes, but I've also used this method with traditional oats. I alter it and sometimes put less cinnamon.

ETA: Putting the oats in a bowl, and THEN in the crockpot, is amazing. I do it in a glass Pyrex bowl that has a lid. Once it's done, I pop the lid on and put it in the fridge. There's really no crockpot clean up other than dumping out the water!

http://www.mommyskitchen.net/2009/01/overnight-crock-pot-oatmeal.html?m=1

I have to have protein with my breakfast or else I'm starving an hour later. If I eat oatmeal, I usually eat an egg + egg whites with it.

Oftentimes I will wake up a litte early and prepare a scramble with an egg + egg whites, shredded cheese, ham, and maybe some veggies (mushrooms, spinach). It doesn't take long to make - maybe 5 minutes tops if you preheat your pan. I'll do this at night sometimes, too. I work 6:45am-7:15pm on the weekends, so I'm up at 5am to shower, get dressed, make breakfast, and drink coffee. I pack the eggs in a small container and eat it at work.

I start ST this Thursday, so I am concerned about how I am going to get all my snacks in!

23. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2014

Thanks mrsi

24. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Aug 4, 2014

You're welcome! :thumb:

25. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2014

I´ve been doing fruit smoothies with light yogurt. You can mix it up. I put light milk, yogurt, and then various fruit (bananas, bananas and strawberries, bananas and peanut butter, peaches, etc.) and blend with ice.

26. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 4, 2014

http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/1048...ome Page&asat=Quick Search&ase=event10,event8

I use this recipe with some changes. I use Spenda and only a fourth a cup of brown sugar. I add flax seeds instead of raisins and applesauce instead of butter. I figured out the calories and protein with the substitutions. I don't remember the numbers but it's high in protein. I'm a 1.5 diabetic and it works well for my meal plan. I freeze them and heat up a pack for breakfast on days I don't feel like making my other breakfasts.

27. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2014

It sounds like you are eating a balanced meal plan with healthy snacks. I occasionally go through struggles with this during the school year because it isn't always possible to get those snacks in when needed. I have popped a protein bar pre-cut in mouthsized pieces or drank protein shakes while students are engaged in learning activities that I can be away from for a minute or two. Eating nuts is a no no because of allergies and there is never enough time to chew veggies or fruit. It is important to maintain your snacking as part of your healthy eating or else you'll allow yourself to become hungry and be tempted to make poor choices.