Breakfast cookies!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MsMar, Jan 2, 2011.

1. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 2, 2011

My daughter and I made these this morning and they came out great.
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Hearty-Breakfast-Cookies/Detail.aspx

I changed the recipe a tad, using 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup apple sauce instead of 1/2 cup butter. Also, our spare jar of peanut butter was reduced fat so I used that instead of regular. And we only had one egg so I used one regular egg and then egg replacer for the second egg (dh is a vegan so we always have egg replacer in the house, it's this powdery stuff that you mix with water). I used 1% milk instead of water. And instead of a cup of raisins I did 1/2 cup raisins and 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Neither of my children are big raisin fans so I though that was a good compromise. My cookie scooper is a one inch scooper so we made 60 smaller cookies and baked them for 13 minutes.

Now I am officially "The best mom ever!" for allowing my kids to have cookies for breakfast! My daughter rated them a 10 and my son an 8. I'll have to remember to let the babysitter know tomorrow that, yes, they may have cookies for breakfast :).

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2011

Just be sure to specify what kind of cookies!

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 2, 2011

LOL mopar, good point! As you know, there is never a lack of variety of cookies at my house. Breakfast cookies = okay for breakfast; chocolate dipped meringues = not okay for breakfast!

5. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jan 2, 2011

I do an overnight oat mixture with greek yogurt and fruit that I call a breakfast cookie that I love too! Cookies as breakfast is a great thing!

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 2, 2011

Hey Buck! Good to hear from you! I was just asking yesterday on the After Party if anyone had heard from you lately.

I haven't tried baking with Greek yogurt. My parents have Greek yogurt almost every day though.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 2, 2011

Well, they do sound good but I think you changed the recipe enough to make them your own recipe. They defintely sound like MsMar's Special Breakfast Cookies! I would take full credit for them if I were you!

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 2, 2011

LOL Teacher NY I guess I did make quite a few changes! Most of the changes were based on various recommendations in the comments sections. I pretty much always reduce half the butter and change to apple sauce in anything I bake that's remotely healthy. It works almost every time without any flavor issues.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2011

Sounds like an easy grab and go breakfast!

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 2, 2011

I saved that recipe to my box on the site but have never made it. I guess I need to!

11. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 2, 2011

I plan to eat some in the car tomorrow on the way to work :).

12. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 2, 2011

Definitely try them teacherintx. They weren't very hard to make and really did come out yummy. Next time I'm going to see if 1 cup of brown sugar will be sufficient, as I'm happy with my fat reduction from the original version , but it's still a bit higher in sugar than I'd like for a breakfast food. Especially since I added in the chocolate chips!