Break out of Shell

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sarah Turner, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Sarah Turner

Sarah Turner New Member

Feb 26, 2020

I am a new teacher and I am generally very shy in my day to day life. I am having a very hard time breaking out of my comfort zone while teaching. I'm trying my best, but I am still very reserved and it reflects in student engagement. I don't know how to create a teaching persona that is more animated without seeming overly fake.

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Feb 26, 2020

What level do you teach? I don't think you have to be "animated" to be engaging or effective, necessarily. You have to be yourself, and if your true self is more reserved, you shouldn't have to change that. Being comfortable being your honest self in front of a class takes time, though -- I think we all start off emulating other teachers we have known or learned from, and we eventually find our own "teacher selves" in time.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 26, 2020

I’m not shy, but I’m an introvert and generally reserved. I’m just myself. The activities need to be engaging, but I don’t necessarily have to be.

creativemonster likes this.
  5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 27, 2020

I'm an extrovert, and can be friendly, outgoing, socially comfortable, however, my teacher personality is nothing like that. I am not an "animated" type teacher, I'm mostly serious, very straight forward and I'm not trying to be entertaining, or anything. I teach high school so this works. (I don't think I could teach elementary, I may be a little too dry).
    But I've been teaching like this for 7 years and it's fine; I think the most important thing is that I am me, I'm not trying to fake anything or force a different personality. Kids would see though that. They like it more if you are you, they will learn to accept it, and trust you more.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 27, 2020

Something is wrong with this webpage - a lot of my responses either don't post, or post 3 times!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Ima Teacher likes this.