brand new!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by lillebe, Aug 7, 2007.

1. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

I was recently hired as a writing teacher, then my principal called me today and told me a 2nd grade teacher wasn't coming back as planned and the job was mine if I wanted it... so OBVIOUSLY I took it!!!
    I'm so excited to have my own classroom and begin teaching, but I'm not really sure where to begin. I have week long orientation next week for new teachers, where I read they will be going over rules and procedures and the curriculum. So I'm not sure if it's best to wait till after that to begin planning. I also have to get ready for open house where I'll meet all my students and their parents. It's a few days before school begins and I'm not sure how to begin to prepare.. Any advice??
    Also I want to set up a really nice classroom library but where can I get lots of grade level books for cheap?? Right now I only have about 10!

3. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

Scholastic always has great deals, garage sales, ebay. I use them all! I remember that overwhelming feeling! I only had 48 hours to set up my first room. Can you peek into the other classrooms (especially other 2nd grade classrooms) to see what they have going on? You can always do your bulletin boards and borders, arrange the furniture the way you want, etc. Don't be afraid to start the year with a clean slate. I like to leave a few of my boards empty (just the paper and border) so I can fill them as I need to. Good luck! Here's some pictures of my room. Maybe it will give you some ideas.

http://teacherweb.com/IL/KanelandMcDole/MrsWicyk/gallery1.stm

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 7, 2007

Congratulations!

For Books:
    I frequent Scholastic. I also get lots of cheap books from garage sales and flea markets.

5. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Aug 7, 2007

I don't have much advice... I just wanted to chime in and say YOU'RE NOT ALONE!!!

Yesterday was the first day that I was able to get into my room... next week is pre-planning for all of the teachers at my school.... & we'll be tied up with meetings and workshops for most of the week, so I'm going to try my best to get everything done in the next three days! :eek: I honestly don't even know where to begin!

As for books, I got about 100 books off Ebay! I just searched for "second grade booklots". I also bought about 50 books at a Scholastic Warehouse Sale a few months ago.

Good luck. :)

6. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

Thanks for the info so far. I just registered for a warehouse sale tomorrow. The fair is pretty far from where I'm currently living. Just wondering if it's worth the drive. Are the books really cheap, where it'll be worth it and I can buy lots?

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 8, 2007

I went to a scholastic warehouse sale in May and it was okay. The books were half price, but that was still a lot of money since most of them were hardbacks. All-in-all it was worth the 1 1/2 drive to get to it.

8. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

Last year (my first year teaching) I spent a lot of time getting books at salvation army, goodwill, and flea markets. I also found some other used books stores and shops in the area. i have more books that some of my older team members!!! After teaching this year I saved up all of my scolastic points and bought a ton of books to add to my collection. I also spent the end of the school year sorting them by topic (insects, ocean life, magic school bus, Junie B Jones, etc) I LOVE books and I think this arrangement will make it much more appealing when my second graders are seaching out books. It did take A LOT of time to do. Good Luck!!!

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 8, 2007

Yes, and then you can join the Classroom Book Buyers-Anonymous thread. ;) I'm one of those who is addicted to buying books for my classroom. I can't go into a flea market, or book store, with out walking out with at least 3. Sometimes it's more like 20.

And the book orders... oh my. Sometimes I get carried away with those too. It's hard not to when books are $1 or 15-30 bonus points. I buy books for my student birthdays. I put them in a "Happy Birthday Books" box. They get to choose a book from it on their birthday to take home. I usually write a short message to them on the inside. I also buy books for them to have for Christmas and the last day of school. I like to get as many books into my kids hands as I can.

Oh, and by just buying from flea markets and garage sales before I started teaching, I had over 300 books for my first classroom library. That was over a 3 month period of looking for books. Now, I have over 3,000.

10. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 8, 2007

Thrift shops. garage sales. I would go to the book fair. Think about books you would like to buy.
    My favorite read aloud chapter book is Charlottes Web.
    Toad and Friends series
    Stellalula
    Magic Tree House series
    The Ugly Ducklin
    You'll need a few real simple books for the very low readers, seems every class has a couple low readers.
    I don't like June B Jones. She talks bad, she is naughty little girl and your students don't need bad examples.

11. beanie

beanie Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

I am like you Miss W - I buy sooooooo many books!! They are addictive! At the moment I am running Scholastic book club at school and I am spending at least $250 an issue for books (through my classroom budget) But we have a lot of 'book' clubs in Australia who sell books through businesses and things to raise money for their social clubs etc - they have good specials - their warehouses are goldmines! Also cheap discount stores often have good books here and there are always book sales somewhere!

http://www.scb.com.au is one of the above social book clubs I often get books from. - remember the prices are in Aussie dollars...

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 8, 2007

I buy too many books, too. And this year I switched grades and had to buy lots more!! Fun, fun, fun. I looooove children's books. I get most at thrift stores, some for as little as 10 cents when there's a great sale.

13. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

How would I be able to locate a thrift store or good will in my area that sells children's book? Does anyone know of any in the Long Island area?

14. beanie

beanie Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

I think it must almost be a pre-requisite of being a primary/elementary teacher - my mum and dad just roll their eyes when i arrive home with bags full of books! I just have to remember which ones are mine and which ones now belong to the school should I ever change schools!!

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 8, 2007

I guess you could call them and ask. I found the ones I frequent by going in and browsing. I found 2 that have booths that are owned by teachers. They are constantly trading out their books for new ones.