Brand new to first grade..please help

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by kamisc, Aug 3, 2011.

1. kamisc

kamisc Rookie

Aug 3, 2011

Hello everyone!! Well I am very excited to say that I just received word that I will be the new first grade teacher in my district. I have been a paraprofessional for almost three years. During this time I have worked with students who have special needs ranging from Pre-k to first grade. I am extremely nervous about the start of the school year. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated? What does you first week look like? Should I send a letter home to parents introducing myself? If so, what should I say? Sorry for so many questions I am just such a worry wart.:haha:

3. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Aug 3, 2011

Do you have the books " The First Six Weeks of School" and "The Morning Meeting Book"?
    If not, run right out and get them. I can't plan the first six weeks of school without them, let alone the first day, and the Morning meeting book has some games and songs in the back that could be used as time fillers, once they are taught in Morning Meeting.

4. learningstill

learningstill Rookie

Aug 4, 2011

Check out Mrs. Meacham's, Mrs. McGowan's, and Mrs. Bainbridge's websites. Also check out first grade teacher blogs. There is so much on the internet you can personally use to help you get going with first grade. Also get on the Kagan cooperative learning website. Kagan has great strategies for student learning.

5. andreas802

andreas802 Rookie

Aug 18, 2011

Is this book geared for early childhood classes? I bought a couple of books for first year teachers, but the more I read them they seem better for middle school. :thanks:

6. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Aug 18, 2011

We use them school wide, from K4 to 8th grade.

7. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 26, 2011

Start "stalking" teaching blogs... the Inspired Apple, First Grade Parade, and First Grade Factory are some of my favorites. They share some AMAZING ideas. (Google them). :)