Brand new teacher here. Teaching SDC English this fall. Help!

Discussion in 'High School' started by Kippers, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Jun 25, 2008

Hi!

I'm so relieved to finally be able to post over here. I am in the process of being officially hired as a spec. ed. high school English teacher. I'll be working with grades 9-12 at an urban low-income high school.

I would be grateful for any newcomer advice you can give me. This is a career change and I'm still in the intern program at the local state college.

My main concerns are classroom management and incentives. I'm going to be in a portable classroom with no windows and no extras, and would like to set up a welcoming environment. Students' abilities will range from working on finally passing the high school exit exam to non-readers.

Do you know of great cheap sources for classroom materials? It has been made very clear that my supplies will include 50 pencils per trimester and that's it!

Have incentives worked for you? What is of high interest to high schoolers?

Thanks!:)

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2008

Congratulations on your new position! I was also a career changer who went the intern route through CSUN. I teach 12th grade English, not SDC, but classroom management has always been something of a challenge - I'm a bit too amiable. I recently learned about Power Teaching on this forum, and it might be great for you. Go here and look around: http://homepage.mac.com/chrisbiffle/Menu38.html
    Also, a couple of books for you to check out: Teaching with Love and Logic and Teaching Outside the Box.
    For classroom materials, wait a bit until Target and Wal-Mart put their back to school stuff out. Also, find your local second-hand book store and start a classroom library. If you get multiple copies of a good book, you can have literature circles.
    Where are you in CA? I'm in Ventura County. :)

4. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Jun 26, 2008

Thanks so much for the friendly response!

I'm in the Inland Empire and will be teaching in Pomona. I'm in a program at CSUSB.

I will check out your links for sure. I have a huge home library of children's literature (with my own kids) but I had never really planned on doing high school. So my reading resources are low.

I think this will be a good summer for the swap meet book sales. :)

Do you use tangible or edible incentives? How do they go over?

Thanks

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2008

If you're referring to something from Power Teaching, I haven't done it yet, but what my kids want is either a video or just a few minutes of free time when they can chat or work on their homework. I get them hooked on a very good version of Dickens' Nicholas Nickelby that's 200 minutes long, and I'll let them have 10 minutes of it at a time.

There's a Power Teaching seminar in Hemet on August 25 (I think - it's the Saturday before school starts for us) and I'm definitely planning on going, even though it's a 2-1/2 hour drive for me. Did you read the download on Teaching Challenging Teens? Trust me, there's gold in there, and it's all free!

6. crzymtngirl75

crzymtngirl75 Rookie

Jun 27, 2008

hey fellow SoCal women!

Kippers, I am in the credential program at CSUSB too. I teach in the High Desert but live up in the mountains. Congratulations on your new job! I have found a wealth of advice here, and other places on the internet.

Incentives...I need to get some new ones too. I know some high school students (like my 9th graders) are motivated by a simple homework pass. :)

7. Kippers

Kippers Companion

Jun 27, 2008

It's nice to meet another CSUSB student! Are you in the intern program? I'm doing mild/moderate special ed.

Thank you for the welcome. This site was invaluable when I prepped for the CSET. :)

8. crzymtngirl75

crzymtngirl75 Rookie

Jun 28, 2008

Yes, I am in the intern program - single subject. I will be there Mondays and Thursdays this coming quarter. The classes don't start until 6pm :( ick.

I actually found this site when I was prepping for the English CSET :)

I picked up a book today (borrowed from someone actually) on classroom management - a Marzano book. I liked his "Classroom Instruction That Works," so I thought I would try his "Classroom Management that Works." Anyone like that one?

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2008

Marzano is very good - well-respected and much-quoted!