Brand New Teacher 4th grade

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by jcwhite**072776, Jul 18, 2011.

1. jcwhite**072776

jcwhite**072776 New Member

Jul 18, 2011

Brand New Teacher, 4th grade

Hi. I am a new teacher in fourth grade in a school who's students are 80% free and reduced lunch. The students in my school are struggling to make State benchmark in Math and Reading. Our school has 3 tiered intervention plans in place for Reading and Math. How can I make this a successful year for myself and my students? Also my principal told me that I need to just relax. I think that I am doing a good job at that but being that I am a new teacher, how can I relax even further. What does he exactly mean by that statement and how can I achieve total relaxation with all that is in front of me? Thanks

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2011

Welcome and Congratulations!

I think that you've probably been asking him quite a few questions...

You need to work on getting organized and being able to collect data on all your students so that they can take advantage of the interventions.

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 18, 2011

Take a deep breath.......

Then study your state standards, released tests, and curriculum.

Are there any other fourth grade teachers at your school? If there are, you will probably plan with them but knowing the standards inside and out and what is tested will definitely help you.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 19, 2011

Welcome!

As a first year teacher (or any year, really) you cannot just relax. Perhaps your P senses your anxiety and wants you to relax so you can work effectively.

Fourth graders are awesome. Read some of the old threads on here.

It is great that your school has plans in place. Become as familiar as you can with all procedures so that when the students arrive you can focus on them. Be prepared to enjoy your students but be sure and be firm with your rules and expectations; fourth graders will sense any weakness!

Be sure and take care of yourself. Try and have your personal life and house in order as the first few weeks of school are hectic and tiring and fun!

Let us know how we can help.

6. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2011

That is about the make-up of our school, and we're doing fine. The most important thing you can do is believe that poverty will not make a difference in your classroom. Students will rise to your expectations when they begin to believe that they are intelligent.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2011

I think the easiest way to relax is to be incredibly well versed in what you're teaching. Once the material comes naturally to you, it's a whole lot easier to be comfortable explaining it to the kids.

Sounds easier than it is, of course.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 19, 2011

If you have not read Ruby Payne or Eric Jensen, go grab their books. If you only have time to read one, read Eric Jensen's Teaching with Poverty in Mind. ISBN # 978-1-4166-0884-4.

My school is 95-98% free and reduced lunch.

9. lcr

lcr Companion

Aug 16, 2011

I have been teaching in a 100% free and reduced lunch school for years now, and my best advice to you would be to write grants on DonorsChoose.com, keep up high expectations, and a firm classroom management routine. The classroom management plan is extremely important if you want to get a lot done in a short amount of time.

www.smartclassroommanagement.com/