Brand-new sub-need advice!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by hac711, Sep 10, 2010.

1. hac711

hac711 Companion

Sep 10, 2010

:2cents:Okay, a lot of you know that I recently switched gears and left my oh-so-crazy private school and moved states. I am right now in the process of getting my master's (which comes with a state teaching cert.!) and have applied and been approved to be a sub in the next county over (I try not to teach where I live, for privacy reasons). I have never been a sub before, but this is the county in which I would like to work next year. My experiences with subs have been minimal, due to my previous situation. What exactly (other than what they told me at the meeting, like show up and be dressed appropriately...I almost said, "well, duh," but decided to keep my inner 16 year old quiet). I want hardcore advice from public school (or private if you use a sub pool) teachers and what they want or would like a sub to do in their absence. I know to follow the blessed lesson plan (if there is one) and to come armed with emergency back-ups for just-in-case scenarios and absolutely NOT TO EAT THEIR FOOD (which always irked me at my previous school), but what would make an outstanding sub for you? I want to wow their socks off, but have always had the opportunity to build a repertoire with students and admin throughout the year. Here, I have basically 8 hours a day to wow everyone. I know, tall order, but a little insight would be great!
    Thanks!

3. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2010

I subbed for fourteen years until this year. I was highly requested because of my classroom management skills. I could keep behavior in check and get a good portion of the lesson plans accomplished. I left the teacher a note about how the day went so that he/she had a good idea as to what was going on while she was gone. I learned the policies of the school and enforced them. I took the job very seriously. I arrived early and left late. If at all possible, I graded a few papers. I left the room neat and clean. That is about it. It is easy, really. I enjoyed subbing for those many years. It was always a challenge to get the best out of the class even though I was not their "real" teacher...

4. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Sep 11, 2010

I think the classroom management part is huge. I understand kids act up more than normal with a sub, but I've had sub let my kids run out of the room, trash the room, etc.

One sub actually called ME while I was gone to tell me that 2 students were cursing and one ran out of the room and what should she do about it?