Branch Out

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by McKennaL, Aug 27, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 27, 2009

Those words keep going round and round in my head.

My university supervisor...the one who left the university..and I tracked down wrote me to say:

".....I do know your ability to teach ..... Good luck in your job search. Jobs are hard to find so you will have to branch out."

Branch out. hmmmm. Branch out to what?

I'm trying to think.

Years ago I was offered a job of children's educational coordinator-like principal- for my (at the time) church. But THAT just HAPPENED to fall into my lap...not something you find in the classifieds.

i looked into the major educational publishers..thinking I would be good at presenting professional development seminars... but there is nothing like that available...and nothing at all available HERE for something i wouldbe qualified for.

If you want to stay tied into education...but branch out (but NOT go back and get more $$$$ education...I can't throw more money into this at THIS point. I'm broke and I'm afraid it would be ignored as well) what are the possibiliies?

maybe this would be a good discussion for this area of the forum. Besides going into retail, or working as a receptionist at a dentist's office as a side job...what could you DO to branch out in education?

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 27, 2009

There's a company in my area looking for someone to sell educational materials to different schools. I don't know what the pay is but I know there's a lot of driving around. It might be an interesting job for someone who doesn't mind traveling. Not something I would like since I hate driving.

4. MrsA

MrsA Rookie

Aug 27, 2009

I've seen lots of vacancy postings for Kindercare and Sylvan Learning Center lately. Those might be companies to look into.

I have not attempted to apply to them, so I don't know if they are hiring a lot of people or not. It also kind of raises a red flag for me that they are ALWAYS posting vacancies. Maybe a sign of a high turnover rate....?

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2009

I spent 14 years working part time as a Christian Education and youth director at 2 different churches while I was home with my kids. Both times I found the jobs in the newspaper and the 2nd one paid me enough to relocate. I used to explain it to people as "principal of a Sunday School" so it's funny you refered to it similarly. I felt that I stayed in the field of education but I thought interviewers (public school) seemed to look down on it. Maybe they were worried I would preach at school. :lol: I'm a Lutheran! We don't do that! But the job taught me that I really love middle schoolers so when I went back to teaching, I switched from elementary.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2009

I've done a lot of educational freelance writing: everything from articles to the geometry section of an educational website.

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 27, 2009

Lots of industries hire people to do/coordinate public outreach. For some of those (like the oil/gas/mining industries) they want more degrees or a background beyond education, but there are probably many other industries who train, or might fit with experience you already have.

Zoos hire educators. So do hospitals, although most probably have a health promotion masters. State and local park and recreation offices. I've heard anecdotally that some of those sorts of places are hiring single outreach people to help replace multiple rangers or higher GS-scale paid people who had wider scope jobs. Some of them have degrees in the field, but I think some also just have education experience and have worked with kids.

8. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 27, 2009

Before I went back to college in order to obtain my single subject, I worked in an independent book store as an events' coordinator and book club facilitator.
    The pay was lousy but the rewards were great.

9. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2009

Private tutor
    SAT tutor
    education coordinator for (library, bookstore, garden center, lakeshore learning, daycare
    curriculum development
    work for a company like remedia, pci education, etc teaching other teachers how to use the materials, strategies
    day camp, overnight camp director
    red cross (public education)
    non profit
    ARC (they have daycares and schools for special needs kids)
    test grader/scorer or developer
    local children's museum

Just a few ideas?