Brainstorming/Prior Knowledge strategies

Discussion in 'General Education' started by austeacher, Aug 11, 2009.

1. austeacher

austeacher Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

Just wondering if anyone has any creative and exciting brainstorming and prior knowledge strategies to find out what a child knows about a new subject and what they want to learn.

I have used the Y chart, think-pair-share, kwl chart, brainstorms in lists, mind maps, Venn Diagram
    etc and while they work, I need some new fun ideas to try.

Please share any Brainstorming/Prior Knowledge strategies you know of for any age/subject.
    Thank you in advance!
    :)

3. multilingual

multilingual Rookie

Aug 12, 2009

Project GLAD (an instructional model) has something called "observation charts", where you post pictures that are related topic around the classroom and you have partners of students go and look at the pictures. They write down their observations, predictions, questions about the pictures. It is an excellent way to ascertain prior knowledge. For example, I have a picture of a Spanish galleon with some native americans having contact with the galleon. The students were writing things like, "those are the pirates of the caribbean", etc. Later after I taught the unit they revisited the pics and they were writing information about the explorers, missions, Spanish galleons, etc.