Brainstorming needed from fellow Vista Print addicts . . .

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ancientcivteach, Jul 15, 2008.

1. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 15, 2008

Ok guys, I need help. My brain has short circuited.

I grade my interactive notebooks once a week, and invariably there are missing assignments. One missing/incomplete I will generally just chat with the student in question, but 2 or more and I would really like to send something home. (My mission in life is better communication this year).

So, what would be some ideas for a Vistaprint product to feel this need? I teach 100 children, and grade notebooks every week, but realistically I might want to send 5-10 somethings a week. I was thinking about doing something for the "wow" ones too, but then *poof* went all creativity . . .

Please help! :)

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

My first response would be postcards. Large enough to write info on, and you get enough (100) to take care of you for a while. But then, business cards could work, too, if you just want to notify parents of the issue, and you would get more (250).

My brain is fried, too. I just tracked down my free palm tree for my morning meeting area, and that's about all I can do for today. Even my hair hurts.

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2008

As a parent, I'm not sure I would want to get a postcard with my child's grades (or lack thereof) on the back. If you are going to hand the postcard to the child to deliver to his/her parents, that's fine, but not if you are going to send the postcard in the mail (unless it is in an envelope).
    Just my two cents.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

6. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 15, 2008

IF I had that many to do, I think I would use sticky notes to attach to their papers or maybe a stamp. But I guess that would only work if they take their ntoebooks home daily. Weekly, I would use postcards but you will need a ton! 100 times 5-10 a week?! You will become a VIP of VP!

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 15, 2008

I think I, too would go for the postcards. However, knowing how students are, I would have somewhere (a notebook or something) where I would write down the information about the particular situation (student name, date, assignment missed, note that you sent a postcard home (either way, via mail or student). That way, if you didn't get the signed postcard back, you could call and confer with said parent. Just an idea..... I'm all for documentation, lol!

8. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 15, 2008

I wouldn't either! :)

I would make a copy and staple in the child's planner, or hand it to the child to deliver.

9. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 15, 2008

I'm thinking y'all are right about the postcard, size-wise. Any ideas on design? Thanks on the link INteacher!

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 15, 2008

http://pwhatley.weblog.com
    That's my blog, and I have pics of all of my stuff (and some other teachers' stuff as well), including front & back. Steal away if you find something useful!

11. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 15, 2008

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 15, 2008

I like it, I like it!

13. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

Wow, that was fast and it looks awesome. It usually takes me about 2 - 3 hours to come up with an original idea :( I almost wish I did INS to use the postcard :)

14. dbelmo

dbelmo Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

AWESOME!!
    I am going to implement interactive notebooks for the first time this year. I was wondering do you think I can "borrow" your idea!!

dbelmo

15. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 15, 2008

dbelmo, help yourself! I have stolen, ur, borrowed, many ideas from these posts!!!

16. shabby_chickie

shabby_chickie Rookie

Jul 16, 2008

Your blog isn't coming up and I would love to see it!

17. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2008

Here. I'm, just copying & pasting the link here: http://pwhatley.wordpress.com/
    It should work. I have no idea how I typed in that address - it's not even like my blog address! Aaarrgghh! I AM losing what little mind I have left!

18. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 16, 2008

Love the notecard... looks like it would be a great addition to your classroom. Just a thought but... can you have your district pay for the printing of them?? You might be going through an awful lot...

19. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 16, 2008

I'm thinking it will take 4 orders (400 cards) to get me through the year with some extra. Hopefully, a lot extra. (Its summer, and time for boundless optimism)

My thought process is that if I send these home religously in the beginning, I will need fewer of them as the year goes on - except for those chronic few who will need one every week. I'm actually thinking that if I have to send home _____ number, then its time for a conference.

Thoughts?

20. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 16, 2008

four? Are you planning on keeping a log, and do the parents have to sign & return your postcards?

21. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

I love the design! Good luck in getting that missing work :)

22. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 16, 2008

I thought that I would make a copy of the postcard, and not accept the re-graded work without a signed postcard (or note, in case the child lost it). If it doesn't get returned to me/work isn't made up then a call. Engrade allows comments, so I thought if I sent communication home I would add a line in the online gradebook "Notebook Missing Assignment Alert sent 9/5". My hope is that if my parents know I communicate, they'll be "on the lookout".