BrainDance?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by gottagoodgig, Apr 20, 2010.

1. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Apr 20, 2010

My whole staff is undergoing a three day training on BrainDance with Anne Green Gilbert. It's a fascinating approach that integrates movement and dance with brain-based strategies. Has anyone used this is their classroom? What do you think? Have you seen results?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 20, 2010

I attended a similar workshop and was very impressed. It just made so much sense. We always sang and chanted in my classroom and I increased the amount and added some movement.

4. Grover

Grover Cohort

Apr 20, 2010

I'm not familiar with this particular program, but I have mixed feelings about the similar-sounding things I've seen. On the one hand, I'm all in favor of more movement in school, including dance for it's own sake. I'm also a big proponent of multi-sensory reinforcement schemes for certain things, and kinetic reinforcement fits very strongly into this. On the other hand, the programs I've seen before lack any discrimination between fact-oriented learning and comprehension/skill oriented learning. These kinds of reinforcement plans work great for learning simple facts, but do nothing at all for comprehension, and may even impede it by masking it's absence. So, just be careful what you use it for.