Brain pop?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by LMT, Jul 7, 2010.

1. LMT

LMT Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

Have any of you used this? I was looking at a middle school science website and it had links to quite a few of the videos on here...BUT, I have no clue if it is worth the money. (I think it's $195 for the year).

I don't do a lot of videos, but sometimes showing a short clip every once in awhile is nice...anyone ever try this site? Is it worth it?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2010

My students love Brain Pop! I think some teachers have a negative attitude towards the resource, but I believe that's because they know a teacher who uses it incorrectly, such as relying soley on Tim and Moby to teach content. That's crazy. But with responsible use, it's awesome! Our school has a subscription...I wouldn't pay that much for it myself. Could your team go in together, perhaps?

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 7, 2010

I love it. I will IM you with an idea.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 7, 2010

I love BrainPop! My husband and I are talking about sharing a membership this year!

6. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2010

Love, love, love BrainPop! I use it in LA all the time to reinforce lessons that I'm teaching. The kids like it, too!

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2010

Our school uses it too. I would see how many teachers are willing to split the subscription. It's well worth it!

8. jd019

jd019 Companion

Jul 7, 2010

LOVE it!

9. funnyteacher

funnyteacher Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

I love Brain Pop too! Well worth the money, although see if your school will buy a subscription. It helps so much with ss and sci and my kids love Annie and Moby.

10. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Jul 7, 2010

I love Brainpop also! I mostly use it to introduce or close lessons.

11. LMT

LMT Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

Sounds like a great site!

However, I notice some of you who use it teach elementary...is it too young for 7th and 8th graders?

I have a subscription to discovery (united streaming) and it has amazing videos too...so don't know if I NEED to spend the extra cash.

Never thought of asking my team to split the cost...I'll be new to the school, so not sure about all of that yet.

:thanks:

12. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 7, 2010

My kids loved Brain Pop while in Jr High and would even look/play on the site at home.

13. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jul 7, 2010

It's definitely not too elementary. I teach middle school science and use it in every unit. Check out the videos for cells or DNA or whatever you teach. BrainPOP uses tons of vocab words, like ribosomes, endoplasmic reticulum, and so on. BrainPOP Jr would be what the lower elementary teachers are using.

I love United Streaming too, but BrainPOP is a totally different kind of resource. The videos are shorter and much more focused on reviewing the main idea of a concept. They're also frequently humorous.

14. allisyn

allisyn New Member

Jul 9, 2010

BrainPOP Educators

Hey there! Thanks for sharing your experiences using BrainPOP! I wanted to make sure all of you knew about BrainPOP Educators -- a free online community for teachers using BrainPOP, designed to help you make the most out of it. We've got lesson plans, webinars, graphic organizers... all for free. I'm always open to input, so please let me know if you've got suggestions.

**Allisyn
    Director, BrainPOP Educators

(as a new member, I'm not allowed to post a link yet, but you'll find the link directly under the BrainPOP logo on the upper right hand side of the homepage!).

15. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 9, 2010

I LOVED BrainPOP when I taught 4th - 6th grade. Now that I am teaching 3rd grade, BrainPOP Jr. is awesome for the younger ones.

I have been using BrainPOP for many years. My district pays for the BrainPOP and BrainPOP Jr. subscriptions.

16. LMT

LMT Rookie

Jul 14, 2010

Great! I'm going to wait and see what my new school/team has before I purchase it on my own, but think you all have convinced me that it is a wonderful resource!

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2010

My school has a subscription. I love it.

18. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 14, 2010

I had a brief experience with it. My team teacher subscribed & shared I believe a science lesson in Spanish I think.
    Also, while I was at the Apple store the other day the salesperson was showing education apps for kids using the i-Pad & the brainpop app is free --- not sure how or what that entails.
    I will look more into brainpop to see if it's worth getting.

19. ecochick

ecochick Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

I teach 7th grade life science and my kids LOVE it! I agree it is definitely not a subsitute for teaching the content but an excellent review.

20. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2010

My 8th graders did think that BrainPop was stupid. They had seen it so much in elementary school (high school starts at 8th grade in my area) that they just made fun of it so I stopped using it.

21. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 19, 2010

I use Brainpop jr and my kids love it. When the video is over, they normally ask to watch it again. So a lot of the time we watch it 2-3 times! I love the quizzes and activities that you can do along with the videos.

22. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 19, 2010

We love it in the third grade! I pay for the cheapest membership for me which I think is about 9.00/month, but it is money well spent. I have cancelled any other sites I have had subscriptions to. I like the fact when you type in your state it will give you the curriculum standards that will be covered by the lesson. There are interactive quizzes, writing and reading activities...something for everyone.

23. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Aug 10, 2010

Actually you violate the terms of brainpop if you share. A single subscription is for 1 teacher computer and 2 student computers. They are very specific. I definitely would not post on a public forum that I was planning on violating terms I legally agreed to follow.

24. KateL

KateL Habitué

Aug 10, 2010

Who said anything about sharing a subscription?

25. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 11, 2010

I teach 9th grade science and my students love it. Heck, sometimes I even show it to my 11th and 12th graders if we have like 3 minutes at the end of a period and they like to reminisce. :)