Brain Gems-crossing body lines?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MrsNickle, Nov 2, 2007.

1. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Nov 2, 2007

Can anyone give me info on this or a website? A wonderful teacher briefly mentioned it so I thought I would try and get more info.

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Nov 2, 2007

I believe you might be looking for Brain Gym.

I don't know of any websites, sorry!

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 2, 2007

All I can think of, too, is Brain Gym, and I'd go into google.com to locate any information, though most of the information I've gathered are from publications. Perhaps type in phrases like "cross crawl, hook ups, and brain huttons", which are different exercises for it.

5. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Nov 2, 2007

duh! Thanks ladies, guess it DOES help when you spell it correctly!

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Nov 3, 2007

I think what you are talking about is cross-lateral movement. I don't know the Brain Gym brand, but I know our PE teacher does something called the Brain Dance, whch includes this. It's when you cross your right arm over your left side (touching your left knee or foot) and then your left arm over your right side. It's supposed to build connections between the right and left brain. Interestingly, small kids (under 6) often can't do this movement, as they have not developed both sides of their brain. If you watch kids struggle with this, they are often the same kids who struggle with reading!!

I had a struggling reader in my class last year (9 years) who could not do these movements. We had a visiting break dancer teach the kids moves, and she was the only one who couldn't do this: crab walk lifting up right arm and left leg at the same time. It sounds complicated, but the other kids could do it, and she could not. I really think there is a connection and the neuropathways need to be completed in order for reading to really come naturally. It's good to do these exercises to help build those pathways.

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 3, 2007

Oh gosh, I was emailing a Dr. about this very thing. A PhD. I am blanking out on the name of her work. Google Barbara Pheulong. I'll try to get the info.

She has a program for movement in the classroom, and how it helps kids learn. The cross body movements actually help the synapses of the brain and make learning easier.

You could also look up Carolyn Brooks. I took classes from her last summer. There is a lot going on in neuroscience about movement and brain development and kids' learning. Some other sources are Eric Jensen, and Brain Compatible Classrooms by Fogerty. I find the topic fascinating. I use cross body movement for spelling and sight words. I believe this is discussed in the book Month by Month Phonics for First Grade.

8. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2007

I do brain gym with my class. We've just started so I can't tell you any big success stories yet, but I've heard enough about it from people I trust that I'm really hopeful. Is there anything in specific that you'd like to know?

9. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Nov 4, 2007

What activities do you do? I've heard of the arm pretzel and windmills (touching right hand to left foot and vice versa)

10. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 4, 2007

Research shows that until a child can cross over their reading will not progress. One way to check for this is to watch a child on a monkey bars.

11. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Nov 4, 2007

Have you found this to be true in your classroom?

12. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2007

I do the basic four: Water (just drinking it), brain buttons, cross crawl, and hook up.

Or did you want more detail? A little hard to describe, but...
    Brain buttons -- are the soft spots right below the collarbone on either side of your sternum. (I think that's what you call it...) You're supposed to put your thumb on one side, finger on the other, and massage gently for about 1-2 minutes while keeping the other hand on your navel. But it's a little hard for the kids, so I have them just do one hand (two fingers) on each side.

Cross-crawl: Raise right knee (straight up; leg/thigh should not cross midline), tap with left hand. Raise left knee, tap with right hand. Repeat about 25 times or about 2 minutes.

Hook-up: Cross right leg over left. Put each hand on opposite shoulder, with left forearm on top. (That's the easier version for kids. For the real version, hold that position and now clasp your hands together.) Hold for about a minute, then switch sides and hold for another minute.

I've started off doing this just at the beginning of my class. The plan is to do it at a few transition times throughout the day, but my kids aren't so cooperative about it so I'm waiting for them to get used to it. I do all the exercises in front of them, but teach it to them one at a time.

13. MrsNickle

MrsNickle Companion

Nov 4, 2007

ah ha thanks for the explanations!

14. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 5, 2007

The person I was trying to think of is Barbara Pheloung, who is doing Move to Learn. It is very interesting. She has recently been looking for teachers to participate in her studies by using her program in the classroom. I wanted to use it but it was the wrong timing - it was the year I had a new administrator and new curriculum.

15. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Nov 7, 2007

For some reason these things are not too popular in the USA (maybe because they don't generate revenue for pharmaceutical companies... :mad:) I hear they're pretty well accepted abroad, but over here it hasn't been recognized by anyone major.

16. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 9, 2007

It doesn't teach to a test.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2007