Brain Breaks / Music & Movement

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by woobie5, Aug 23, 2011.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

Aug 23, 2011

What do you all do for brain breaks and/or music & movement in second grade? I used to teach Kinder so I"m used to everything having a song or a dance to it .... but I want something a bit more grade appropriate. TIA!:thanks:

3. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2011

Stretches
    Jumping jacks
    chair dips / desk presses

We usually skip count or count backwards to get some math in ;)

I just reserved a kids yoga dvd from the library. I'm going to try turning it on for 5-10 minutes throughout the day, because I realllllly will need movement breaks this year. Can't wait to try it out!

We have a track around our playground, so sometimes we will go out, run/walk a lap, and go back in.

4. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Aug 27, 2011

For Brain Breaks we get up and stretch our arms and legs out and finish with a yoga pose. I teach them a new yoga pose every nine weeks so by the end of the year they know four yoga poses. I really like Danny'sNanny's idea of skip counting. Usually we just count 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 as we hold the stretch but I think I will start incorporating skip counting to review!

5. pjones858

pjones858 Rookie

Sep 12, 2011

Last year I downloaded several oldies that had sight words repeated in the lyrics. We would clap in time to the music (a steady beat improves memory) and when the words came around in the lyrics, we would stop and point at them on our word wall.

Some of our favorites: "Mustang Sally (Ride, Sally, Ride)" -- "Black and White" (Three Dog Night) -- "Say, Say, Say" (Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson)

We also did Patty-cake-like clapping games in time to the music.

This way I was reinforcing sight words while getting their brains energized at the same time. My kids loved it, and they really learned their Dolch words!!

6. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Sep 12, 2011

We do skip counting by 2, 3, 5, and 10. I change which exercises we do with each. I include jumping jacks, jumping forward jumping back, high knees, jumping side to side. Then we do some slow down stratches.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 14, 2011

I'm in the same boat as you. It's all new to me! :)

I have been doing exercises as others have mentioned. I have also been doing various Tribes energizers: http://cchealth.org/groups/tobacco_project/pdf/activities.pdf (You really have to look through them...Some are too time-consuming or not appropriate for 2nd grade.) We did a variation of "group juggling" today and the kids loved it!