Brain Based Learning

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by teacherkasey, Dec 20, 2002.

1. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Dec 20, 2002

I've seen the term brain based learning a couple of places but I am not really sure what it is. Can anyone helo out and explain this to me? Thanks.

Kasey:confused:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2002

The 1990's were labelled the "Decade of the Brain" with an explosion of brain research- lots of new information was gathered regarding how the brain handles new information, how information is stored and retrieved, memory, thinking skills, etc. This research therefore has educational implications. Brain based teaching comprises many strategies- among them is the importance of water to learning (staying hydrated), using novelty and humor,rehearsal, using chunking to enhance retention, connecting new info to past learning, recognizing differences in how male vs. female may process and store info, and much more. For an easy read primer on Brain Research, you may want to read "How the Brain Learns" by David Sousa. You could also check out the ASCD website for articles.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2002

After my last post I went to ascd.org and copied this - thought it gave a good quick overview! :)

Brain-based learning involves using approaches to schooling that rely on recent brain research to support and develop improved teaching strategies. Researchers theorize that the human brain is constantly searching for meaning and seeking patterns and connections. Authentic learning situations increase the brain's ability to make connections and retain new information.

Teaching strategies that enhance brain-based learning include manipulatives, active learning, field trips, guest speakers, and real-life projects that allow students to use many learning styles and multiple intelligences. An interdisciplinary curriculum or integrated learning also reinforces brain-based learning, because the brain can better make connections when material is presented in an integrated way, rather than as isolated bits of information.

A relaxed, nonthreatening environment that removes students' fear of failure is considered best for brain-based learning. Research also documents brain plasticity, which is the notion that the brain grows and adapts in response to external stimuli.

Source: Adapted from The Language of Learning: A Guide to Education Terms, by J. L. McBrien & R. S. Brandt, 1997, Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.

Just copied this from ASCD.org- gives a good quick overview!

5. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Dec 21, 2002

One interesting point that brain research brings up is that we learn only in 20 minute intervals, so no lessons should be longer than that. Kids should be switching activities 3 times an hour. Easy in ECE, but harder in older grades.

Oh, also- brain research says that young children learn best very early in the morning, and teenagers later in the morning. How ironic that most high schools begin between 7:30 and 8:30 and most elementary schools between 8:00 and 9:00! (My third graders come in around 7:40 am, and believe it or not, they are ready to focus). :)