Brag Tags

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by EiffelTower, Jul 16, 2014.

1. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 16, 2014

Has anyone done this behavior management system with their class? How successful was it? Any pros/cons? I found it on Pinterest tonight and am intrigued!

3. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 16, 2014

Ah man I just lost a whole written post on this due to a browser crash. Anyway, when I was a kid, I went to a summer camp where we used a similar system, only with beads on a lanyard. They were a big deal. Different colored beads meant different things. I love the brag tag idea.

4. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2014

I think I am going to use this some how in my class Anyone have any ideas or thoughts.

5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 16, 2014

Looking more into it, I'm not sure how you would get the actual tags, if you were using those metal dog tags in a lot of the photos. It seems like that would get expensive, especially if you were getting them made or printing badges in color and them somehow gluing the labels onto the dog tags.

Another thing that I read had lanyards that kids could just wear for a day and then return. Like, if you had one that said perfect attendance, the child would wear a lanyard for a day that said "Ask me how I received my perfect attendance brag tag". That may work? But the downside to that is that the kids don't get to collect multiple ones and keep them.

6. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2014

I might do both kind that they can collect and then ones they can wear for the day. They have several ones on TPT.

7. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 16, 2014

I really like the idea of students having them and trying to collect them.

How would you manage that? Where would students keep them? Would they leave them at school or take them home each day?

I really like this idea and wold love to hear from teachers that have done it.

8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 16, 2014

Pashtun, a lot of pictures on pinterest show them being hung like this and kept at school, worn only during assemblies.

I'd also love to hear from someone who uses these.

9. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 16, 2014

I like them but I feel like at my school it would just be another way to separate the high and low students, unless they were only given out for school spirit, birthdays, 100th day of school, etc..

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2014

I've seen them around and have thought about using them. I do need a summer project- maybe I'll look into making those. I like the idea a lot.

11. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 16, 2014

When you say low students you are really referring to "lazy" or "chronic behavior problem students" students correct? You are not referring to students who are working hard but struggling to master content, right?

I can see making a ton of these that would reward struggling students who are working hard, as much as any other type of student.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 16, 2014

Personally, when I refer to "low" students, I'm speaking of students who're performing below grade-level expectations.

13. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 16, 2014

I could see brag tags working fantastic for students performing below grade level.

for example:
    effort
    professional note taker
    goal setter
    responsible
    respectful
    wise decision maker

Just a few examples I would consider using that students performing below grade level would have a great chance of earning.

To me there are many different types/reasons students are performing below grade level. The lazy students or chronic behavior problem students are the ones that may struggle earning tags the most not to mention the least likely to be motivated by them as well imo.

14. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 17, 2014

So, I just spent $17 on Teachers Pay Teachers to buy a ton of brag tags. They range from character badges to homework completion to math facts to a variety of generic ones (Star Student, Helpful Student, Quiet Walker, etc.). I like that they're geared for all students for a variety of reasons and shouldn't leave anyone out regardless of ability levels. Now I just need to print and laminate them. Hobby Lobby currently has spools of ball chains $3.99 (normally $7.99). Once I cut them to size, I can display them on a bulletin board!

15. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2014

I think I'm going to buy some off of TPT. Instead of putting them on a chain I'm going to print the out and pass them out like tickets. That way they can take them and tell their/show parents. I might have some for just classroom too that way they can wear them around school and show them off.

16. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2014

How are you going to use them? Do they wear them for the day? Do they get to take it home?

I wouldn't want to send them home after paying all that to make them, but I feel like a brag tag is something I'd want a parent to see. Can't figure out how to make that work...

17. live

live Companion

Jul 18, 2014

What about also sending home a certificate of some kind when a tag is earned?

18. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2014

Hmmm....I love the idea of color beads to represent different things. Now my gears are turning!

19. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 18, 2014

I was talking about students who perform below grade level and have behavioral problems. There are also some awards students gain by having parental involvement, like perfect attendance. A ton of kids automatically never get those tags. At my school we already have to award EVERY SINGLE STUDENT during award ceremonies no matter their abilities. So we teachers spend plenty of time making up fake awards. I would save something like Brag Tags for the students who actually deserve them. I understand there are many reasons some kids don't perform well, but that's life, and I think they need to know that all behaviors will not be rewarded. Because I wouldn't be searching high and low for a reason to give kids brag tags, I know they would just be necklaces that show which students are REALLY having success. I do believe it's great to show students that trying and doing their best is important, but it's better when they meet some sort of goal.

20. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2014

That's what I was thinking. Guess it's something I should look into making now because it would be too time consuming to make those up during the school year.

21. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 18, 2014

The brag tags won't go home until the last day of school. I do not want them going home and getting lost or never to be brought back to school. I did read somewhere where you could have the kids hang their brag tags on their backpacks and then they could go home daily. My students can show them off to their parents during conferences or if they stop by for some reason before/after school. I'm not sure about when they can wear them. The blog I was reading said they got to wear their necklaces for special occasions. However, I think those would be far and few in between, and they might not have much buy-in if they only get to wear them a handful of times. So, I may just give them the option to wear them whenever.

22. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2014

I saw them on the backpack which looked cute- but I'm afraid they'd get lost or worse- taken by other kids that way. (A lot of stuff gets "stolen" on the bus.) I feel like I'd definitely have kids keep them in school but I'd want a way for students to share the accomplishments with their parents. Maybe I'll add it to my newsletter or something. I'm thinking of doing the bulletin board thing, which I didn't like at first, but it's growing on me. I'll let students wear them when we have visitors in the room- which is pretty often.

23. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2014

I was working at school this afternoon when I had an epiphany about these brag tags. I made my own tonight. They are nothing fancy. I listed what they can get a tag for and I will just hi-light or circle what they got it for. They will keep them in an envelope or plastic bag in their desk. Then at the end of the week they will count them to see how many they have. Who ever has the most gets the "Bragtificate. I am very excited. Oh the Bragtificate is nothing fancy either but it will work.

24. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 20, 2014

I'm having a dilemma about actually calling these "Brag Tags" ... thoughts? It's the term "brag" that I'm not too fond of. I've seen Swag Tags as a possible name so I could always use that. Any ideas for alternative names?

25. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2014

Good point...something to think about. I can't think of anything right now.

I'm toying with the idea of having stickers to go with the tags or in lieu of the tags. But I do really like the idea of the whole "collecting" them aspect.

26. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2014

So not my thing, but couldn't they be considered some kind of badge? After all, the scouts and the military have certainly shown that the concept has buy in.

27. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2014

Of course, now you realize that I am going to have to go to TPT and check this out! I am always looking for a great idea. Thanks, guys!

28. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 20, 2014

If I go with the term badges, what could I title the bulletin board? I'm also doing a dog theme, so that could be somehow tied into the title, too.

29. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2014

Aren't the tags essentially dog tags, the ones that you buy?

30. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 22, 2014

I actually came up with Dog Tags as my bulletin board title last night. Why I didn't think of that sooner is beyond me!

31. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2014

I love it - so many ways to tie that into most subjects! Now I think I will have to figure out a way to steal your idea and work it into my plans, as well. I love it when everyone around me is so creative. Good job.

32. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2014

I have never heard of brag tags so I am investigating now!

33. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2014

So far I think I've decided I want to make my own. I love how nice they look but I don't know if it's worth the money since I've never tried it before and also I want mine to be specific to things that we do in our school and there just aren't enough ways to customize theirs or to customize which ones you buy without spending a lot of money. I have so many other things to spend money on. So I'm making it my summer project.

So far I've come up with a whole long list of different things I'd want to give brag tags for throughout the year. Going to design and make them all now cause I know I'll never get to it during the school year. Then I think I'm going to be a few "brag tags of the month" each month for students to specifically work towards. We do a character enrichment theme each month at my school so I could tie some towards that. I could also tie some to class dojo (I've seen that on pinterest) and I could tie it to specific units (I'm thinking like "Multiplication Master" "Fraction Fanatic")

Wow typing this out has made it even more clear for me. I'm really excited about this!

34. Organic Poppy

Organic Poppy Rookie

Jul 22, 2014

I worked at a school who did the metal dog tags and different colored beads. They were primarily for AR and AM. The librarian passed out the tags and beads for goals met. Tag day was a big deal. Students only wore them on assemblies and took them home on the last day.

35. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2014

This is all very intriguing! During my ¨investigation¨ I saw that a lot of teachers also make their own and put them on ribbon necklaces, or yarn necklaces. How do you plan to do yours? Also, what program are you using to make them? I think I will write about brag tags in my next blog post! This is exciting. I might try them this next year too!!! :)

36. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

37. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jul 23, 2014

38. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2014

39. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2014

I'll get some sort of necklace for them I'm assuming. I think I will use clip art and different fonts I've downloaded and make them on powerpoint. Then laminate and cut them out and hole punch them.

40. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 24, 2014

I bought ball chain at Hobby Lobby and then cut the chain into 24" pieces. I made my brag tags using Microsoft Word. I created a 6 x 3 table to make them.

I'll post pictures of my bulletin board and brag tags tomorrow. I'm going to actually refer to them as badges, kinda like badges of honor. Also, as I worked on laminating, cutting, and hole punching them all today, I figured out an easier process. Cut the paper into the three rows (so there are 6 in each), hole punch the row and then cut them apart. It was way quicker to do that than cut them all out individually and then hole punch them.

41. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 24, 2014

Okay, here are a couple pictures (I posted more on the Classroom Photos board if you want to see my room in general) of my bulletin board and the actual brag tags. The character education ones are the ones I made. I bought the rest through Teachers Pay Teachers. I found some free digital background clipart on Pinterest so I'm going to try and make my next batch more colorful/interesting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]