Boys vs. Girls ....Again

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Diann, May 7, 2005.

1. Diann

Diann Rookie

May 7, 2005

Hi again,
    Recently I posted a question out there and only received 4 replies. I am about to finish my research paper and thought that I would throw it out there again. Please help. Thank you in advance.
    As teachers, do you feel that boys or girls are called upon more often in class and why?
    Again, thank you :)

3. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

May 7, 2005

I think girls are called upon a bit more because they show more interest and participate more. Of course, this is depending on the grade level. I did my practicum in Grade 3 and at that level, everyone participates. But in intermediate, well, it's the girls. As a teacher I try to be aware of this and I try to sometimes call on those who do not seem to be paying attention - and that seems to be mainly boys.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 7, 2005

We went through a program at the beginning of the year that had us looking at who was called on more. Studies based on this program showed that boys were called on more. When I kept a tally in my classroom I saw that I followed the "trend". I think it has more to do with keeping the boys on task. The girls are usually following and paying attention, the boys tend to wander (not making a gernalization, this is observation of my class this year.) I also think that, in part, it is to keep from favoring the girls.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 7, 2005

That's a good point. Christy. I grew up with only sisters and I realize that I probably favor girls a bit so I specifically make myself keep a running tally (informally of course!) as we have discussions, especially if it is a class when not every single child answers. Since I have a small class, often every child answers several times, though.

6. JazzyM

JazzyM Rookie

May 7, 2005

I kept a tally in class one day and i realized I favored the boys. I think it's because the kinder boys are way more vocal about answering and the kinder girls are a little bit more timid and passive. This is in a classroom where it's 100% hispanic children. I wonder if that makes a difference....

7. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 7, 2005

i have more boys in my class so i would say i call on the boys more. sometimes it is to bring them back to the lesson. also the 5 kids are the one who raise their hands so i try and mix it up and call on the ones who are too shy to raise their hand but know the answer

8. mbboss

mbboss Rookie

May 9, 2005

I probably call on the boys more. Just like a few other replies, it's mainly to get them invovled in the lesson or back on task. I do have a few girls who get off task easy, but I have more boys that are off task.

9. mR.t-TiMe

mR.t-TiMe Rookie

May 10, 2005

even though i try to call on a varity of children, i would say that i probably choose females slightly more often than males. they are usually quiter and more likely to be demonstrating the proper behavior i require to be called upon.

10. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

May 10, 2005

I agree with Christy. I find myself calling on the boys more often, because they tend to be the ones having trouble staying on task. One of male teachers says he tends to call on the girls more because they're more focused. I think it has a lot to do with your specific class.

11. Prissypants

Prissypants Companion

May 10, 2005

I think that I call on the boys more. Not necessarily to keep them tuned in an on task, but because they are often interested in what's going on. I teach a very active, hands-on class and a lot of the guys seem to really like it. I know that many aren't as active in their other classes, so I want to give them an opportunity to shine in my class.

In general, I would agree with most of the comments before mine. I would assume that girls would raise their hands more often, and that teachers would call on boys to keep them in line. It's the nature of the sexes, I think.

12. FallCreekGal82

FallCreekGal82 Companion

May 10, 2005

Since I teach Title I reading, I have smaller classes, 2-5 students. These are the students who struggle, so most of the time I only take volunteers and let everyone have a chance that wants one. Sometimes I call on a student who has not been participating to make sure he/she is on the same page. Some kids are shy and don't like being called upon so I tend to stay away from calling on them. In relation to the boys vs. girls, I can say that in my classes it is mostly boys because 16 out of my 24 total students are boys. So it's hard to say there.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 10, 2005

I think research supports that teachers call on boys more- I think I read somewhere that they just are more 'attention seeking', more active- less passive than the girls.... So since I've read that I REALLY try to keep it balanced...call on a boy, a girl , a boy, etc. I know some people use #'d sticks to call on kids to make sure it's random and everyone gets an equal chance.

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 11, 2005

I have tended to call on my higher level children. I have to watch myself, so that I can call on all levels of students. Ratio of boys to girls is 50%:50%. If I call on a boy, then the next time I call on a girl. That's how I learned to keep it straight.

15. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

May 22, 2005

I feel I call on boys more. Thinking about it, I think because the boys are usually less afraid to give an incorrect answer than the girls and appear less shy about volunteering the answers in class, especially in science or math. The girls in my group will usually not even attempt a guess or say 'I don't know" or even shrug their shoulders, but the boys at times will give multiple answers if their first one was not close.

16. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 22, 2005

I will also call on students who aren't paying attention. This makes them pay attention. I may even call on them more than once.

17. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

May 22, 2005

I have popsicle sticks with each of their names on one and pull them out of the jar one at a time so sometimes it may be more boys than girls. They know always be ready!

18. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 22, 2005

I do the same thing! The only thing that is different is that I use their assigned #'s.