boyfriend's brother is a jerk...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Learner4Life, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Oct 12, 2008

Can I vent here for a minute? This is going to be long but I really am tired of the happenings in this family...
    My boyfriend's brother has become a jerk. He got married in August to a woman who is the biggest example of the stereotypical only child in a divorced family (can we say SPOILED?!?!). I've put up with her antics because I like my boyfriends family and for the most part things have been annoying but tolerable up until this point.
    Since these two got married, my bf's brother, we'll call him *R, has become as selfish and irresponsible as she is and they together are VERY rude.
    Last weekend was my bf's birthday. We had a videogame party with all of our friends and I bought stuff for nachos to have for dinner. When *K (my bf) was asked what time to show up, he told everyone that R was planning on coming over at 6:30 so any time after that was great. R and his new wife, *A, had the entire day off the day of K's party and yet were AN HOUR AND A HALF LATE because they just HAD to go see that Chihuahua movie. They have no children, it was HER that had to see the movie and WHY they had to pick that exact time when they could have gone to a matinee is BEYOND ME.
    Now, them showing up an hour + late was rude enough but then they were there for MAYBE 15 minutes when they decided the party didn't have enough alcohol and they left to go get some AND WERE GONE FOR TWO HOURS!!!!! Things went fine when they returned but it was just rude!!!
    We then went out to K's parents house for his family b-day dinner because his grandmother was in town. She lives in Seattle and we only get to see her maybe twice a year so we're always excited when she comes to visit. We play cards and chat and it's always just a lot of fun. R and A sat on the couch and did NOT converse with anyone while we were at their parents house. Then A left because she had to go to work and called R on her way to work, when she got to work, on her break, and when she got OFF work. R had to leave the dinner table to answer his phone because she would get mad if he didn't.
    THIS weekend was a repeat of last. We had another birthday party for a different friend and this time they were 2 hours late, stayed for a half hour, and left for the rest of the party. They came back at 9 (the party started at 2) and left 15 minutes later.
    I'm SO tired of this rudeness but I am also newest "member" of this family (actually K and I are the only one's not married now) and I can not be the girlfriend that starts a family feud. I feel like someone else should be the ones saying something but everyone keeps their mouth shut! K just puts up with it and says it's A's way or the highway. I want to pick the highway. I know I should have said something when it was K's party but I didn't and now I feel like it's too late. These two feel it's acceptable to act like this!
    Can I do anything here or are my hands tied behind my back?

3. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Oct 12, 2008

Wow, that is rude. I don't blame you at all for being aggravated. It sounds like they're not much fun to have around when they do show up, so honestly if I were you, I would look at the rudeness of not coming as almost like a blessing. Think about it - that was time you didn't have to spend putting up with their crap. I wouldn't wait on them for anything. They know the start time, so whether or not they participate is up to them. It's incredibly hard to teach an adult manners if they don't have any, so I wouldn't bother, just let them know that the party/dinner/whatever starts at whatever time and they can come or not.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 12, 2008

They are VERY rude and I would be annoyed too. But, since you aren't really part of the family, I would kind of stay out of it. Plus, like Mrs said, at least you don't have to deal with them or hang out with them. My hubby's family is also kind of rude, but I just deal with it and act as nice as I can :D THEY are the ones who end up looking bad.

5. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Oct 12, 2008

That sounds like my ex's family they were always late to everything! He was as well, he was even late to my birthday. His family got wealthy after they started a business. The money and wealth made them very rude and arrogant!

6. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Oct 12, 2008

I'm going to go with Peachyness here and advise not to make any waves since you are technically not part of the family. But MAN, I don't blame you for thinking their behavior is absolutely annoying!!

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 13, 2008

Do you mean to say that the party doesn't start without them or what??? Who cares if they're late...get the party going and don't stop until you say it's time to go home. I wouldn't let them ruin my party.:)

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 13, 2008

At least you know who you can't count on. Honestly, I agree with everybody else. Keep them informed of start times and whatnot, but don't bother yourself anymore about their presence. If they're not there, it's their loss, not yours. Have agreat time without them and don't worryone bit.