Boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh.... boy? Did I mention boys?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 30, 2008.

1. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jul 31, 2008

Sarge - these boys like you because you understand them! Yeah! Lots of hyper-michievous-smart aleky boys are just normal kids! They are just active, and they need a teacher who will incorporate activity into the classroom and not treat them like they are breaking a Commandment if they are wandering to the drinking fountain every 10 min!

I loved teaching my boy class. But it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different than the girl class! With my girl class, I actually had to make a rule about the 2 second hug! Those girls wanted to hug and cuddle all day long! During my boy year, there was 1 little girl who would hug me about 2x a week, and those were precious hugs to me!

But the boys were so interesting and really challenged me to change my methods to best suit their learning styles. Lots of funny stories there. Good for you Sarge! We so need more male teachers.

2. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jul 31, 2008

I don't know why they don't consider looking at the number of boys vs. girls when they assign the kids to the classrooms. 2 years ago, I had 16 boys and 4 girls. It was actually a very good year for me, but I'm a person who likes everything uniform.

3. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 31, 2008

I have close to 150 students and I do not have any idea yet how many i have of either sex.. I won't know until probably Monday or Tuesday..

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2008

I just got my class list. 7 girls and 13 boys. One who's middle name is Lumberjack.

Should be a fun year.

5. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2008

Lumberjack? That would be an interesting conversation starter...lol.

6. Ellensmom

Ellensmom Companion

Aug 1, 2008

I haven't had that problem...yet, but the school we have penpals with does this coming year. In both 3rd grade classes I think there are ONLY like 5 boys TOTAL. (I know the numbers are opposite of your you) They are going to-get this- have one class of ONLY girls and the other class a mix. I'd like to know how they are going to decide which teacher gets the mix(lucky her).

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 4, 2008

A girls class has a lot of fun! I loved my girls class and it was my absolute favorite class until I got the guys! The girls class was very emotional, even at the young age of 6! Tears every day, and if someone started crying we got a lot of sympathy crying going on. It was really funny now I look back. At the time I was patient for about 1/2 the year, then I had had enough and we made a rule about crying to go with the hugging rule. If you needed to cry, you had about 10 seconds to get it done, then if you were still crying you had to go to the bathroom and cry and wash your face and come back ready to be calm and do your work. Worked out pretty well.

The girls were able to go a lot farther in reading and art, generally. They were happy to do work at their seats. They did talk a lot, but they knew how to speak softly so I didn't get on their case. The boys had a hard time sitting still and we had to do a lot of active work, I added in extra recess times, we did a lot of body movement in the classroom. They didn't talk as much, but they were LOUD! And they could not sit well at circle - more like aqua arobics at the circle - haha! I had to learn to ignore activity unless it was going to hurt someone. So I had a lot of boys rolling around, kicking their legs out of the circle, jumping up and down on their knees, doing tae-kwon-do moves, etc. at the circle, and I just tried to ignore it. I used mostly nonfiction for our reading lessons. I went on Ebay and bought books that the boys were particularly interested in.

I did have 2 boys in the girls class, and they were troopers. I can't imagine not having ANY boys!

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2008

I did some of my pre-service teaching in a third grade class with 14 boys, 3 girls, and one VERY traditional teacher...let's just say it made for some interesting observations!

9. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Aug 4, 2008

I would take a class full of boys any day :) I've always had girl heavy classes. This year will be my first year with more boys. In my opinion the boys are a little easier to deal with because they aren't so sneaky when they misbehave. Maybe I'm just geared a little more towards boys because I have two of my own. It'll be interesting to see if I still feel boys are easier if (please God) I ever have a daughter ;)

10. sarypotter

sarypotter Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

My first year, I had ALL boys! Second year, I had two boys and two girls. This year I've got ... hang on, gotta count ... (good thing I'm not a math teacher) ... six boys and three girls.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2008

I have a 14 year old daughter--boys are infinitely easier! :D

12. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 5, 2008

Last year I had 20 students-- 13 boys and 7 girls, so I know how you feel!

This year, however, I think I have half and half. Hopefully, it will stay that way!

13. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 5, 2008

Lumberjack? :unsure: That has got to be a sign.

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 5, 2008

I had 2 years of having a class of only boys and I LOVED it! The atmosphere is so different with only boys. This year I will have 5 boys and 1 girl so far. I can't wait to move the girl out into another program in December. I love my boys!:D

15. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2008

Let me warn you that the odds are still sadly roughly 50-50* -- you don't get credit for already having two boys.

Stupid laws of probability. :mad:

So, were they annoyed or did they find it ridiculous? I have a hard time imagining what that would be like for them.

*hence my user name, which I would really liked to have been "2boys&agirl" or "2daughters1son" or something along those lines.

16. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 5, 2008

What do you suggest for appropriate teaching methods, considering I have a boy-heavy class? :) Lots of motion and action, I've gathered that much...

17. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 5, 2008

My friend also has three sons. I think just hearing her stories has prepared me for my class.

I normally really enjoy the male students, though. They don't tell on others as much. They can be messy, but most of the time, they take things in stride. It just depends who they are paired with, but I don't have any MAJOR behavior problems. I am generally very excited.

18. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

I have to agree about boys being easier! The girls are prone to cry, whine and this last year daily hearing "she is not my friend" then maybe 2 minutes later they were best friends and someone else was crying "she is not my friend",
    Also, I have 2 children, 1 of each, and my son was/is way easier! My daughter is 25 and she still costs me money! I love boys and girls, but boys ARE easier.

19. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 7, 2008

Sarge - the year with all the girls and the 2 boys was interesting, and the boys were interesting. They were not typical, in that, they were not the rough and tumble kind of guys. One was highly intelligent in sciences, the other in language arts. Both very independent thinkers and secure in themselves. When asked how first grade was going, one of them told his mom, "It's better than kindergarten. The girls don't cry as much." haha!

The boys hung together, but they were the kind of boys who communicate well with girls and they were usually happy to be in a small group with girls. I tried to pair them up fairly often. They just weren't very affected by the girls girlish traits!

Ms Jasztal - yes, a lot of activity is important for boys. They learn through experiencing. I learned to plan movement and breaks into the day in order to get the most out of classroom time. Spending time letting the boys be active ended up giving me more and higher quality time with them in the long run.

I had to change my expectations. Standing still in a straight line to go to lunch was not going to happen! Sitting through a long lesson followed by seat work was not going to happen. Skipping afternoon recess was not going to happen.

I had to adjust my thinking. A boy bouncing his body off the floor at the circle didn't mean anything against me personally! A boy getting up to get a drink, sharpen a pencil, or poke someone in the arm was not done against me personally to make me mad. I had to see the behavior for what it was - normal boy behavior. Reading Why Gender Matters was very helpful to me.