Boy/Girlfriends

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by newbie87, Feb 23, 2010.

1. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Feb 23, 2010

In my third grade class, there is a girl who is boy crazy. I thought so and my CT confirmed this. She is 8. :eek: :confused: There is one boy who "accidently" let it be known he has a "girlfriend" the other day, I wonder if it was a really a slip because he is a good student, and now won't shut up about it. Other students are chiming in that they have girlfriends and boyfriends. One student informed me he has a 19 year old girl friend. :eek::rolleyes: Despite having "boy/girlfriends" gthey all flirt with each other all day. Does anyone else find this a little disturbing? I'm sure most of it is pretend, but still. Children under 10 imo shouldn't be thinking about girl/boyfriends. I would say it's spring fever, but it's Feburary.

3. corney

corney Companion

Feb 24, 2010

My daughter is 9 .. her friends sort of let it slip one day that she had a secret.. I asked her to share it with me because I don't like her hiding things and I want her to feel she can talk to me.. She said she has a boyfriend. I inquired about him and what they to do.. I told her it was ok and the only contact they are allowed to have is a little hand holding, no kissin or touchin.. What I gathered from her is that they like to hang with each other and play, nothing of a sexual nature. He told her he liked her personality. Honestly it was a great confidence boost for her. She said she was surprised I would let her have a boyfriend. I said I don't see an issue with it as long as you follow the rules.. He moved away at the end of the school year.. :D I'm learning cause I've never had kids before, the bigger the fuss you make over something like this the more they pursue it.. She having my approval took away some of the sneakiness I guess.. So my rookie advise would be to not make an issue of it unless it's disrupting the class or you witness some inappropriate behavior. Then I would contact the parents and give them a heads and let them handle it.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2010

I truly think most of this is quite normal...the 19 year old girlfriend is probably just a girl he knows who might refer to him as 'her boyfriend' in a teasing, good-natured way...
    Re-direct their attention. Be careful of labeling kids (boy crazy)...

5. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Mar 29, 2010

In the past 2 months, my class has really taken off with the "dating" thing. I heard about who was going to kiss whom at the dance early in the year but in the past few weeks it's really gone to a different level.

I tell the kids that it's not appropriate talk for the classroom but that lunch and recess are fine times to discuss it. I also let them know that any notes I find or talk I hear is fair game to tell parents at conferences. That usually gets the talk out of my classroom and helps us to focus on learning. If I see a potential problem in the classroom with the dating, I will first talk with the student(s) involved and then speak with their parents if it escalates. Typically though the less attention I pay to it in my classroom, the less drama we have.