boxes boxes boxes theme week

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by bridgetbordeaux, Apr 8, 2008.

1. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Apr 8, 2008

my supervising teacher has the theme of boxes picked out for May
    I need 2 small group and one large group activity
    Help!!!

3. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Apr 8, 2008

Build something with lots of boxes? Make a diarama (sp?) of some sort with a box? I guess it depends on what kind of activities you are looking to do. For math if they do any kind of sorting, they can sort the boxes into groups by size or color. Count boxes.

4. pabef

pabef Comrade

Apr 8, 2008

You can make boxes out of greeting cards. There should be a pattern on the net somewhere. Sorry, I don't have it. My daughter did this at her school.

5. bridgetbordeaux

Apr 8, 2008

we are making all sorts of things with boxes
    I was thinking of doing a larger, smaller type activity with different sizes of boxes
    Or maybe a positional word activity, under, below behind
    I am having a hard time coming up with good ideas

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 8, 2008

Last year during our Construction week, my kids LOVED using BIG boxes on the carpet to build stuff. We saved a bunch of our boxes from Monday bulk shipments, taped them up, and let the kids build and knock them down.

7. Ms Petunia

Ms Petunia Rookie

Apr 9, 2008

box "bear" activity

Go to an appliance store and ask if you could have a refrigerator box. They are fairly strong boxes. Children love to make it into a playhouse, you can cut windows out and then let them decorate it with crayons etc. The last box I had I used during my theme "hibernation." I painted a picture of a bear sleeping inside the box; I also cut the length down a little. I had several students take turns with their teddy bears to hibernate in the box (cave). I also put fiction and non-fiction "bear" books inside for the children to read to their bears. My students absolutley loved hibernating in the box. We also sing the Cool Bear Hunt song by Dr. Jean walking towards the box.

8. Ms Petunia

Ms Petunia Rookie

Apr 9, 2008

Also, in case you do not know the Dr. Jean "Cool Bear Hunt Song" uses positional words in it (over, around & under). I laminated picture cards "candy factory", "peanut butter river", "jello swamp" that I hold up as we sing the song and move my hand over, under & around the pic. of course you arrive at the bear in the box.

9. Ms Petunia

Ms Petunia Rookie

Apr 9, 2008

Also... in case you don't know, the Dr. Jean "Cool Bear Hunt Song" uses positional words in it (over, around & under). I laminated picture cards "candy factory", "peanut butter river", "jello swamp" that I hold up as we sing the song and move my hand over, under & around the pic. of course you arrive at the bear in the box.

10. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Apr 9, 2008

You could make your positional activity a sort of treasure hunt, with clues--find the box under the green table--that box has the next clue--etc.

You could take a walk around the room/building/playground and have a "box hunt"--how many things can you find that are box shaped? Or how many kinds of boxes do you see (if you can walk through the office and the cafeteria you'll see some, not sure if you can find enough different boxes or not).

Have each kid bring in a box from home and then play some kind of game where they have to describe their box, or guess whose box is whose--so they have to use adjectives.

11. bridgetbordeaux

Apr 10, 2008

great ideas
    thanks for the help
    Hopefully we will get lots of boxes donated to our classroom

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 11, 2008

I seem to remember a picture book for children about things a child did with a box. You could try googling.