Boundaries/Grading/Likely a Vent.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Starista, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 28, 2015

Hello Fellow Teachers!

I am a fourth grade teacher at a private school in Southern Florida. I have taught 10 years previously. 6 in a different private school and 3 in a public school (with on year off while pregnant with my amazing son).

I am having a tough time in my new position. It's a smaller school with one class per grade and the aide (who's job is to make my copies and help in any other way) is giving me quite a bit of unsolicited advice about how to teach/what to do. Much of what she suggest is a bit dated and I've tried to show her several times that it's not my style. I show her the standards that we follow, etc.

Today, for example, she mentioned how in 5th grade the children are responsible for a daily journal where they're given a topic and have to write an entire page. The children in grade 5 will be graded on this. My aide is concerned that since I am not spending 1/2 hour on daily journal that my kids won't be prepared for next year. We do Writer's Workshop every day. We are learning how to plan writing, how to edit and revise our work, and how to peer edit.

I am frustrated that I had to explain to her why I am not going to (or even grade) daily journal. It is not my philosophy to EVER tell a student "how many lines" a written response has to be nor would I grade a journal entry (or any writing for that matter) without a rubric.

I kindly shared that with her and she just said "if you want to get them ready for fifth grade, do it. They'll be in for a rude awaking next year if not." :(

Thanks for listening.

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 28, 2015

If you are doing good writing in 4th, they will easily transition to daily journal writing in 5th, imo.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2015

Another way to look at it is that life is full of "rude awakenings." The world does not prepare you for every little thing that is going to happen next.

If they get a "rude awakening" then they will be better prepared for the other rude awakenings they get in 6th grade, 9th grade, 11th grade, and college.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 28, 2015

Sounds like the aide needs the rude awakening.

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2015

If she's so concerned let her grade them on her time. Geeze.

But really, just put your foot down. Don't even explain why you do what you do. It's not your job to answer to her.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2015

"thank you soooo much for the advice. I'd be willing to look at the NEW standards with you and discuss how my methods are meeting them. When ate you available to meet?" would be my response.

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jan 28, 2015

This aide is clearly going over her boundaries IMO. How to handle it?--Kind of like surgery. It must get done, but try to say what you need to say with the least pain to the patient possible. Choose your words carefully--you have to work with her.

9. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jan 28, 2015

Wow. The only thought I can muster is that I completely agree with you about hating to give a number of "lines" for students to write -- talk about making kids hate writing!

10. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 29, 2015

After I wrote this I was concerned that it appeared I didn't respect or appreciate how valuable aides and assistants can be. But it's certainly not that!

Many thanks for all of your advice and tips. I'm absolutely horrid at establishing and maintaining boundaries and this is a classic example of how!

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 29, 2015

If you're non-confrontational, simply thank your aide and say you'll take her ideas into consideration. You obviously are considering them, just not considering implementing them.

12. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 29, 2015

In 5th grade, they will complete a full page of a daily journal daily. I'm sure the vast majority of the kids will handle it well.

I hate to say it this way, but it's the 5th grade teacher's responsibility. You're teaching 4th. Do your own writing stuff.